My new goal in life is to make Libby laugh! Not just little smiley giggles (which are also wonderful, of course), but a real belly laugh.
She laughed for Michael 11 days ago and I only got to hear about it second-hand from him and my mom, who was also lucky enough to be here when it happened. I was sad at first that I’d missed it (to be fair, mom did try to record it with her camera), and worked hard to try to recreate it. Then slowly, it ceased to be my main mission in life.
But last night, most unexpectedly, it happened! (This is not a photo of it actually occurring, but it’s still cute.)
After a day with Gigi, and a terrible lack of good naps, Libby was a bit tired and not in the very happiest of moods. So of course, our mission was to make her happy until we got her to bed early. Michael and I were playing with her on our bed, talking to her, singing and picking her up, bouncing her around, zooming her towards and away from, my face. Well apparently she found this HIlarious; because then came a huge grin and this sound. I looked over to Michael – was it a laugh?! …very nearly. So I kept at it! YES! There it was! A true belly laugh! Again! And Again!
Of course, it didn’t last very long. But it was true bliss for me. I can’t wait to hear that laugh again and again. And if it’s 10 more days before I hear it again, that’s okay. It’s worth the wait. But if I can tip over that giggle box again, I’ll sure do it!
I can’t wait to see how her sense of humor develops and hear that joyful noise for the rest of our lives.

It's the best sound in the world, isn't it!
ReplyDeleteSorry that I was the cause of her lack of naps, but thrilled that she did it for you! She has giggled for me but not belly laughed. Can't wait to hear it myself.
ReplyDeletecan't wait to hear her laugh!!
ReplyDeletewhat a wonderful blog....
ReplyDeleteI have been luck enough to hear the laugh and this brought back that wonderful moment... anything that I can do to make it happen again and again I certainly will do....