Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Too Long

I know that it has been far too long since my last post.  But I'm blaming the computer - and then life in general!  I finally got a computer again last week, but Libby and I had a busy schedule on some days and just tried to enjoy each other on other days last week, because I was set to return to work this past Monday.  I did, and it went much better than expected.  

I'm only part time now - with Mondays and Fridays in the office and working from home as needed, the equivalent of a day, on the other days.  Gigi watches Libby at our house on Mondays and Marmena gets Fridays.  They both got ME on Easter Sunday during one of my breakdowns about going back to work.  The good news is that it was much worse in my mind than in reality.  I do have a very nice arrangement where I don't have to worry about her when I'm not there and I'm still there all day five days out of seven!  

In another monumental move this week - I'll be spending my first night away from Libby tomorrow night!  Michael's gone this week, but he and Marmena will both be home tomorrow night.  So I guess she'll be okay...  I'm another story.  Actually, I think I will be fine.  I'm going to Athens with my staff for a retreat and they've always been worthwhile in the past.


In other Libby news, she rolled over for the first time last Tuesday from her tummy to her back!  She hasn't done it again since, but she does sort of roll from side to side a lot.  She's also very into sucking on her fists, fingers and occasionally, her thumb.  And nothing makes her happier than a little attention!  Her smile still gets me every time.  Fortunately, she shares it often.  

She has also discovered Commissioner a bit more and feels her fur sometimes when she's nearby.  I can't wait until those two are fast friends!  They will be SO cute together.  I didn't have a dog growing up for a number of reasons, so I can't wait to see Libby with hers.  I tell her all the time how lucky she is that she doesn't have to even beg for one!


With this weather, we've been taking lots of walks together (though the minute Libby finally got over her cold, the pollen started).  She also is going through a period of night waking.  I think the first couple of nights was because she was truly hungry - but the night before last I determined that that was over.  So last night we went back to sleep training where I gave her a pacifier (which she's not usually a big fan of), but she took it happily.  It fell out.  I gave it to her again and she sucked for awhile and it fell out a couple of minutes later.  She cried for maybe 20 minutes and slept again until she got up at 7:20 a.m.  I've also stopped swaddling her for naps and that has created a few problems with good napping yesterday and today, but it has to happen at some point.  And PS- she was busting out of them anyway with arms poking out of various locations.  I was still swaddling her at night, but I think I'm going to stop that tonight, too.  May as well get all this stuff over at once, right?!


And whoever thought they wouldn't need math later in life (me) was wrong.  At least it's basic math, though.  How much did Libby eat today?  What was the last time she ate and how much so I know how much to give her at the next feeding and when she "should" be hungry again?  If she slept this long today, what time should she go to bed?  And on, and on, and on.



Oh and the books.  I still wish Libby came with her own manual! 

I've also discovered that not only do I worry more than ever - about everything - I also feel like things - special occasions and just every day stuff - mean more now that Libby is here.   I guess that is sort of a 'duh' thing, but I guess I didn't realize just how much life would change in ways that I didn't expect.  And it's so much better!  I love her so much and am inspired by her every day.  And her determination - wow!  That is something in and of itself.  Michael might argue that she gets it from her mother and grandmothers - and that may be the case - but it's still something to watch in a girl who's so little!  

Sorry if this post was disjointed - but I'm just trying to throw as many thoughts in as possible right now to catch up!  

   

3 comments:

  1. Just so you all know, Libby was a perfect angel on my first babysitting day. Of course, what can you expect? She IS an angel! And, Mommy did great.
    Love, GiGi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweetie! Thanks for the post! I've been thinking of you and am so glad things are going ok with getting back to work! Keep me posted on the transition from swaddle to no swaddle - I'm petrified to make that transition! :-) Ty is a bit of a flailer when he sleeps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to have heard from you! I've been thinking about y'all. Libby is still as cute as can be! I know it's so hard, but you can worry yourself crazy, so try not to! I think [maybe, I'm really hesitant to say it] I've FINALLY learned that they let you know (usually loud and clear) most things...hunger pains, sleepiness, etc. You're a great mom and Miss Libby is lucky to have such a loving, sweet family!

    ReplyDelete