What a fun weekend we had together! Michael did not have to go in to work and none of had functions or anything else that we had to do outside of our house (other than a few little errands.) It worked out nicely since Libby's nap schedule varies from day-to-day whether she has one or two. But she remained in a great mood both days with different schedules. I guess we're in the transitional stage and I'm fine with that.
We also got to have some friends over on Saturday night who don't have children yet, but who are close to us and that we certainly want Libby to get to know. I have always appreciated the fact that my parents allowed me to grow up knowing them as real "people," not just parents. Don't get me wrong- I loved when they went out to attend a work function or be with their friends without me - babysitters are fun! (Or at least the majority of mine were.) However, I always enjoyed being with their friends who were older than me and I think it allowed me to nurture a valuable skill of being able to relate to a diverse group or people who were a different age, mindset, or whatever than me. Now, when I was dragged to a weekend work event with my dad, I wasn't always incredibly eager to attend, but I now understand why I was included and I appreciate it.
I'd like for Libby to have the same opportunities. So I try to include her when I can and when it's appropriate. She's been to lunch with my coworkers, she's visited Michael's office and mine on occasion, she's attended a family-friendly work event or two and she hangs out with our friends at home or at their houses. Sometimes it can be challenging to meet her needs (depending on how great they may be at that time, place and minute) and my own need to interact, engage with everyone else or even eat! I also have my own need to "play hostess," so it's great when I can combine the two at home. But mostly she does quite well and I think I'm able to balance the two without being obnoxious to the other adults. I feel like it also allows us to set a higher level of expectation as to how she should act (but keeping our ideals realistic and expectations able to be slightly adjusted if necessary since we're at home.) And if they're at our house, when it's time for bed - she goes - and our party can continue.
Miss B has been in a beautiful mood lately though for the last few days, truly! And so have I. Hmm... could one have some affect on the other? Is it the weather? Is it her fun age? There's been so much fun, chatter and laughter here and I love it. Tomorrow morning, we head to the doctor for Libby's fifteen month check-up! I can't wait to see her stats!
For now, here are a couple of videos for your enjoyment...
6 years ago

So cute! I love the walking the dogs together. That is so sweet. And, by the way, Daddy, Libby first pointed to the cabinet door handle and then, not one, not two but 5 (count them) FIVE hinges! And if you ask if her if the back door has any hinges, she will think for a second and then go over and point out all three of them! She is so smart! Love, GiGi
ReplyDelete