Monday, April 9, 2012

More Musings on Libby/The Masters

This month, as she's been more agreeable (and less "two-acting"), I've had more time to notice more things about her personality. She may look like a mini-Michael, but she acts like a mini-Me!

She says a LOT of words now and lately her favorite line is, "Bad Dog." (She loves blaming Commissioner for stuff that she actually did. They learn early!) And now she just says it over and over to drive us nuts. It is immediately followed by, "Awww" and her "hugging" her arms to her chest with her head tilted to the side.

However, she's not into performing for people. If you ask her to say something to someone that isn't around her all the time, she won't do it and she gets a bit shy. She also takes a little while to warm up to people, even if she knows them, unless she sees them frequently or, of course, if they have a dog. Dogs pull out her personality almost better than anything or anyone! (That isn't really like me - I love my dog and I like dogs a lot - in fact, I've always wanted to really have a great rapport with all dogs (kind of like Libby!), but the ones I don't know well can sense my nervousness.)

I've gotten much less timid as an adult - with both dogs AND people - but to an extent, I still have to make a conscious effort to be outgoing with new people or in new situations. It will be interesting to see what activities she gravitates toward.

I always liked doing things with a group - like performing in the ballet corps - but not being the "prima" ballerina. I don't want ALL eyes on me! I like singing IN A CHORUS. I like playing handbells with a group of ringers. I really only like playing piano for myself and for her. I always hated recitals, even if the payoff was big in the end - you know, ice cream cake when we got home, gifts, that sort of thing.  ...but really no need to comment on how well I played, please. Let's not re-live it!

Libby's also quite cautious not to be embarrassed because she says something wrong. She whispers words until she's very confident that they are correct. While you all know that I don't hesitate to share my opinion on many subjects - I do try to make sure I listen to what others are saying and read about things before I start making my proclamations. I'm very content to listen until I have my own grasp of a subject. I have noticed that she seems to be the same way. I hope I'll teach her not to be afraid to ask questions, though! (I'm not always great at that.)

She likes things clean and hates having her hands be dirty or sticky for very long, too! (That's been quite evident from early on - but it hasn't changed!)

She needs her sleep - but can generally put on a happy face and hold her own if there's a crowd or she thinks there is fun to be had! (SO me.)

She gets frustrated with herself very easily if she doesn't "get" something right away. I don't know if that's her or if that's being a toddler. Does that mean I sometimes act like a toddler?! Hmm...

I've mentioned it before, but boy does having a child highlight your own personality traits - for better AND worse! If you don't learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible... apparently you don't think!

Anyway, on to another topic: the Masters!

I got to go back to the Masters golf tournament this week for the first time in I think four years, and it was as fantastic as always. My friend, sorority sister, fellow book-clubber, and more, Kristi, invited me for the day on Friday and I got to stay with her in-laws, who are like extended family, for two nights while we were there! They used to live it my neighborhood (I grew up with them and her hubby) and I will never forget their beyond generous offer for me to live with them to finish high school so I wouldn't have to leave for my last two years... even if we didn't take them up on it! Well, they built a new house in a new neighborhood and it is absolutely beautiful.

Friday morning started out overcast, quite cool and threatening rain. However, I never felt a drop and by lunchtime, the sun was out and it was perfect if a touch windy! So, pretty much, exactly what you might expect for the Masters if you grew up going - a little of everything! Of course, since it was the actual tournament, we weren't allowed to take photos, so I didn't bring my camera at all... but I didn't think about using my phone for one before we left!  Anyway, we traipsed all over the course multiple times, watched some play on most of the holes at some point and spent a decent bit of time on #2 green, #6 near the green, and seated at my favorite, #16, "Redbud." But actually #6 presented the most interesting play. I saw most of my favorite golfers at least once if not more and got to know some new ones!

I also got to enjoy two egg salad sandwiches and a pimento cheese and a half! (If you've been, you'll understand...) Sadly, they were sold out of cookies COMPLETELY by the time we were interested. We also spent a bit of time checking out the latest merchandise... And we ran into or spotted a few acquaintances, including a school friend of mine, Louisa Dasher!

It was also great to spend time with Kristi and little Ansley! I don't think Kristi and I have gotten to hang out and bond this long since college and it was even better now with the bond of our families, baby girls, jobs and plenty more to catch up on and share. It's so neat that our girls get to grow up together. We have so much to look forward to!

And UGA golf superstar Bubba Watson won the tournament in a sudden death playoff yesterday!

Good times!

Next up... Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment