Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Milestones

Matthew has hit several milestones of course, in his first three weeks (nearly four now) of life.

His first bath was Oct. 27 after his belly button healed up on the 26th. And at his two week doctor's appointment, he was 8 lb. 2 oz., 21 3/4 in., and head was 35 1/2 cm. There is no doubt he's put on a good bit more by now. (He's four weeks tomorrow!) We're just starting to work on a double-chin and his head is rounding out more overall, too. So yes, his feedings are going well!

He varies between three and four hours between feedings, but two nights in a row, he went nearly five hours. Last night was four again, but the timing was a bit better for morning wake-up - and with the last one of the day at 10:30 p.m., there was still just one middle-of-the-night feeding. We'll see what tonight brings us, but we (Michael and I) would be just dandy with just one middle-of-the-night feeding. (I count between the hours of 12 a.m. and 6 a.m. middle-of-the-night.)

And get this: on Sunday, I showered with him mostly, but not quite asleep. I don't think I showered until Libby was completely conked out with no other adult in the house until she was maybe two? (Except perhaps one or two occasions.) Seriously. I know I have to be more realistic this time though, so we're starting early.

We had our first family walk this past Saturday. Of course, I've taken Commish and Matthew for some walks before, but we've always enjoyed weekend walks as a family, too. We managed this past Saturday, though I didn't make it quite as long as I would have liked, as my regular headache these days kicked it up a notch for me. I will say that I think our speed was pretty good, though.

On Monday, he visited Libby's preschool for the first time when we dropped her off in the morning. I was way stressed about the morning, but we, who are normally first to class, still made it second! The morning began fairly smooth.


But when I had to put Matthew down several times in a row, he got a bit upset with me. He began a bit upset because I'd had the nerve to change his clothes. Still not a fan of personal nudity. But sorry, I had to help Libby with teeth brushing and hair fixing! He calmed down shortly after I got him in his car seat/carrier, though, with Libby's help with rocking him. The day really went quite well overall. Of course, I had practically nothing on my to do list other than a couple of phone calls, running back and forth to school and making sure everyone was fed and clean. So that helps.


Tuesday morning was a bit smoother. Mimi came to visit us and I got two huge loads of laundry done, plus a nap. Matthew and I visited the Publix for the first time - and slept through it beautifully. Ditto the Fresh Market and a shoe store (with Mimi, too). (None of the trips were very long, and no one touched him or got too near - though he did receive many compliments!)

Today it's both freezing and Gigi is here, so Matthew and I haven't ventured outdoors. Libby stayed in her pj's until nearly lunchtime, too. The kids and I had such a nice and relaxed morning. We didn't rush through breakfast and both of us enjoyed less of me nagging her to eat. Michael joked that between her and Matthew they spend 10 hours a day eating. She really "dines" for every meal possible.

After breakfast and coloring, Libby and I played the piano to lull Matthew to sleep (just the way I used to do for her.) I'd get her right to the edge of drifting off and then put her in the bed. I did the same with Matthew today, so not only did he have his "first" of my piano playing, he also had his "first" nap in his actual crib, I believe. It went pretty well. I think he only woke up because he dirtied his diaper. He got a good 45 minutes in, though - and he was probably a little hungry, but it just wasn't *quite* time to eat yet. It was perfect timing with Gigi's arrival, too!

So now Libby's had someone fun to play with again, inside and out; I've had time to shower, write some thank you notes and eat lunch; Matthew is content and clean too, AND I'm about to go have a nap...

Oh- and on Monday, Libby found a praying mantis! We kept him until Daddy came home from work, but released him back into the wild following that.

And I've discovered that perhaps I can keep up with the blog as long as I write it in short bits at a time - spread over several days. We'll see. I want to keep up with Matthew's doings just like I did with Libby - and with Libby's fun things, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment