I mentioned previously that Libby received a number of awesome birthday presents this year (as always). She got several "experiences" including the puppet show she got to attend special with Gigi and Papa in February. Yesterday's gift was the longest in arriving.
Libby was disappointed to miss her swim meet in order to attend, but after much anticipation, poster-making, and even nail-painting for the occassion, the big day was finally here!
ONE VOICE! ONE LAST TIME!
At 72 years old, this seems to be Barry's last tour, and the ladies of my family as so disappointed. But that made the concert even more special for us all as Libby's first!
YES, there were GLOW STICKS!
The last time we went, my mom, Aunt Toni, Millie and I found a great Italian restaurant across the street from the venue where we were able to be seated last-minute. This time, we made reservations at the same spot: Luciano's. (Emily, if you are reading this, they have a location in Charlotte, too.) It was SO good once again, and gave us peace of mind that we would be able to eat on a busy weekday after fighting lots of traffic before the concert. I will point out that the traffic was helpful for Libby as she caught some pre-concert shut eye. And Uncle John came with us, too! Dinner was delicious and as Aunt Toni pointed out about her gnocchi dish, "How can you go wrong with dough balls covered in cream sauce?!"
Unfortunately, we could only smuggle in one of our beautiful signs, so we saved Libby's, who held hers up for a bit before the show began.
But we had our glow sticks and our great attitudes and we all really enjoyed Dave Koz who was the opening act. Dave is a saxophonist and he played older pop hits, some of his own hits and even an arrangement of "Let It Go!" Surely that was just for Miss B.
And while we waited for Barry after Dave Kos finished up, they had a GREAT soundtrack to get the audience ready. We entertained ourselves and other with our signing, talking and even a bit of dancing. I'm sorry, but I was in the mood for a party...
Which is exactly what we got with Mr. Manilow! Libby stood on her chair even just waiting to see him with her glow sticks held high in what was described by one observer (Aunt Toni) as "reverential." It also took its toll and Libby was lying down with her head in Mimi's lap for a song or two near the end. I think that was perhaps Mimi's favorite part.
It was a ball holding Libby up high to see though (Millie and I took turns), and a few times she walked to the end of the aisle to get a better view. The folks around us sure enjoyed Barry's "littlest Fanilow," too. She was definitely the youngest we saw (next youngest was around 12 years old?) and she was a trooper. She even walked the entire way back to the car when it was over. Concert high, I guess.
The concert featured all Barry's hits, plus more! We were disappointed that Libby was not called up to the stage, but couldn't begrudge "Tammy from Florida" since she had made quite a long journey for the occasion herself. The following was a set list from another venue and it is pretty close to what we heard at our concert. I should have taken notes on my phone, but I hated to miss anything or the spirit of the moment.
1.
It's a Miracle
2.
Could It Be
Magic
3.
Somewhere in the
Night
4.
Can't Smile
Without You
5.
Jump Shout
Boogie
6.
Moonlight
Serenade
7.
Even Now
8.
Medley: Brooklyn
Blues/Do You Know Who's Livin' Next Door/They Dance!/Boogie Wonderland/Hot
Stuff /Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours (Our medley was slightly different, but equally fun!)
9.
I Am Your Child
10. Weekend in New
England
11. Let's Hang
On
12. Zing! Went the Strings of my Heart (duet w/Judy Garland)
13. I Made It
Through the Rain
14. Mandy
15. Medley: One
Voice/I Write the Songs/The Old Songs/Bandstand Boogie/I Don't Want to Walk
Without You/Some Kind of Friend/New York City Rhythm/Read 'Em and
Weep/Ships/Somewhere Down the Road/This One's for You/Tryin' to Get the
Feeling/Ready to Take a Chance Again/Looks Like We Made It/Daybreak/I Write the
Songs
16. Copacabana (At
the Copa)
As noted in today's review in the AJC, he played for 100 minutes. Seriously, not bad for a 72 year old, and he was as entertaining and funny as ever- or maybe even more so. You could tell at the very end when the choir came in and then as he was backing up while the curtain closed, that he was really taking it all in, too.
Oh, AND we were surprised with streamers that popped out across the ceiling at the end. Libby caught some and it is now a prized possession. Though when I mentioned streamers on the way to the car last night, she corrected me and told me that they were "ribbons." Duly noted.
After about 20 to 30 minutes of sitting in the car waiting for our turn to arrive to pull out of our parking space, Libby piped up with, "Okay, Mama, I'm ready to go now."
We really did have a great and memorable time. And boy, I did not mind the close-up floor seat fun! Libby told me today that she had the most fun of any of us there, that it was louder than the video of his concert that she loves to watch, and finally that she wished that people had sat down more during the show.
I think the first concert was indeed magic, and we had "the best seat in the house!"





It was "Magical". Sharing our favorite singer with those who love him most and taking Miss B to her first concert was a most special event and one I will always cherish. Love you so much!
ReplyDeleteThe comment was Love you so much, Mimi
ReplyDelete