When the high is 72 degrees on December 13, I think Mele Kalikimaka is only too fitting!
We did lots of Christmas-y things this weekend.
Libby & Matthew got to visit Santa yesterday morning! We were running a little crazy in the morning, but we made it for the appointment time we arranged prior to the visit. I gotta say, walking right up WAS nice.
Matthew was a little unsure right at first.
But he warmed up!
Matthew requested a green train while Libby opted for a sled and a telescope. The sled was a new addition as of last Friday. She also really wants a dog that is "just hers," but I let her know that Santa has to check with Mom and Dad on any live animal gifts and we weren't going to "okay" that for him this year. Sorry girlie. Santa was a success. We also visited the Disney Store, rode the elevator a couple of times and the escalator, too. But I think the highlight for the kids was getting sip after sip of my Frappucino at the mall and on the way home... Ho ho ho.
On Friday night, we had Michael's office party! We got to meet up with some of his work friends beforehand and the party was lovely, too.
Libby has been hard at work this Christmas making ornaments for the close friends she and Matthew have and with whom they exchange gifts.
She made them, lining up all the little beads, following the pattern and everything. All I did was help her get started on the first one and answer a question here or there (and then iron them together.) She even wrapped them and labeled them with these little baggies herself. I'm very proud. We also went shopping yesterday for Matthew's gift from her and she paid for it with her own money. She took great pains to decide on just the right thing. And I think she nailed it.
And I'm not sure this is officially a Christmas thing, but I took the kiddos to Waffle House for DINNER last week while Michael was out of town! They had a ball watching the grill and we all ate far too much. What a FUN time. They delighted the other diners around us and the staff, too. We even played multiple rounds of Simon Says at the table.
Libby has to bring sugar cookies to her class tomorrow for the kids to decorate, so we made them today. We had enough left over that we could keep and decorate some ourselves, too!
SWEET memories. (Matthew was napping...)
And speaking of suite, we took Libby to "The Nutcracker" for the first time last weekend as part of her Christmas present. After breakfast last week, I asked her if she wanted to open a Christmas gift early. Thankfully, she said she did! She received a neat Nutcracker book that tells the story, and then we told her we were taking her to the ballet in the afternoon. We saw the Georgia Ballet's production at the Cobb Civic Center. I have high standards, and it was really great. The fact that our seats were in the fourth row, center, did not hurt, either!
Libby sat on the edge of her seat through the entire first act, which was so cute. She was glued to everything happening on stage (though early on she did turn to ask me when the mice were coming out.) She said the second act was her favorite, though. She even got to meet a dancer before the show. It was a great way to set the mood!
She does still contend that she does not want to be IN The Nutcracker herself. But Matthew keeps telling us that he does. So we joked that perhaps he would play the role of "Russian" after seeing it, considering how much wonderful jumping is in that role.
She did do a great job though, in her role as "angel" in our church's Christmas pageant last night! She sang all the songs/hymns, did the hand and dance motions and hit her mark as the good news was announced to the shepherds! I did not take photos during the program, but I might next year. These are as the kids were leaving.
She earned a well-deserved treat afterward, and Matthew felt he earned his for making it through the service without having to be taken out for behavior issues, too. (We let a few things slide since it was the kids program... but "I want a train" doesn't exactly go with the birth of baby Jesus. And he shared his heart's desire with the congregation rather loudly and repeatedly during the pageant.) Libby also shared with us afterward that next year, she wants to be the star (of Bethlehem)! Truly, last night the start kinda stole the show. But mainly, you get to make three laps around the front of the altar area because you're leading the wise men.
Tonight we got to have a special dinner at the Pearson's house and exchange gifts. We are excited to hang out again for New Year's Eve!
Oh the joys of Christmastime!
6 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment