Monday, January 23, 2017

The 58th Presidential Inauguration

Last week, I got to participate in, and check off a "bucket list" item: I attended the inauguration of our 45th president of the United States.

I headed up early-ish on Wednesday morning for work and preparations, as we had many Georgians traveling to D.C. for the festivities. After a thankfully-uneventful flight and pick-up of luggage (had to check it this time for my ball gown), I headed directly to the office. Media preparations had already begun even on the east side of the Capitol. 


I got straight to work, got my new Senate ID for the 115th Congress, met a few newer co-workers and interns and said hello to old friends. No time for extra meetings that day, beyond what was on my "need to do" schedule. When I left, it was evening, and thankfully Sheridan and Jim gave me and my huge bag a ride to their house, as they sheltered me during this trip.


We had another great dinner at Matchbox, a favorite spot of theirs and mine in their neighborhood. And the next morning, I met Darlington classmate and friend Jennie Wright for breakfast! It was fun to catch up with another friend who also serves in a Senate office. Currently, Jennie splits her time between the federal office of Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla., and the Environment and Public Works Committee, which is chaired by Senator Inhofe. As Senator Inhofe's Legislative Counsel in the federal office she advises him on judicial and homeland security issues, and as majority counsel on the committee she works on transportation and water infrastructure issues. 

We see eye-to-eye on a lot of matters, and we had a nice discussion about the 115th, the election results and just caught up on the personal stuff.

In our federal office, Kathie Miller had gotten a number of members of the state staff up to help her with hosting our reception for DC visitors and getting the inaugural tickets distributed, picture sessions with our boss and more. This pathetic photo doesn't quite capture it, but the cake and plates were cute -- and look, healthy snacks, too!


After a busy morning at the office working in various capacities, I snuck out for a quick lunch with my buddy Jordan! Jordan, I know I've written about before after I attended his baby shower in the summer of 2015 before baby Andrew's arrival. Well, Jordan and Jeremy just moved back to DC from Texas, so I finally got to meet Andrew! Jordan was good enough to traipse over to me, 15 month-old in tow (just as I would have done for him in a similar position). I got to introduce him to my favorite breakfast/lunch spot on the Hill, and he loved it, too. It's a tiny place and I kind of had to shark-attack for a tiny table. At least I'd warned him to bring a stroller for Andrew since he'd likely be sitting in it for lunch.

Andrew was just precious, and he said "no," and I feel like a couple of other words that I can't remember now... Jordan has just secured a great job in the greater Virginia area, helping to get a local hospital's trauma center off and running -- as Director! I am very proud, and I always have been. And yet, what a trip. It's still amazing to imagine Jordan as a doctor, despite that he's been a trauma surgeon for years. It wasn't a hard ask to get him to agree to a couple of pics!



Seeing Jordan was truly a highlight. After work on Thursday, it was back to Sheridan and Jim's for prep work for the Georgia State Society's Inaugural Gala at the National Museum of Women in the Arts! A most fitting spot on many levels, I think.


It was a beautiful night, and I got to catch up with even more old friends -- even unexpected surprises. Catherine Henson from back in our U.S. House and early Senate days. And Larissa, too.


The place was PACKED to mix, mingle, celebrate democracy and hear Josh Turner. I congratulated former Georgia governor and our next U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, Sonny Perdue.


Josh Turner played one hit after another for an entire hour after the initial house band wrapped up -- and that band was great, too.




I also bumped into our former press secretary, Lauren Culbertson there and congratulated her on her pending nuptials.



Sheridan and I had fun partying -- and getting ready together. Just like old times! And my beautiful dress (sorry, but it was!) was loaned to me by Lindsi! What a gem that woman is. I just had to stop eating between New Years and the event to fit into it. Ha! Actually, not true, but it did help me get back into healthier habits, post-campaign and holidays.


And of course, we got pics with Heath...


And with Joan (who was on her way out after nearly fainting)!


Josh Turner played "Long Black Train" as one of his final songs, and you getter believe that I was right up front to record it for my baby boy!



And when I got home and showed it to the kids, Matthew was signing or mouthing every word. It was so precious. That may have been my favorite part!

We had a great time at the ball, and made it home to bed by a semi-responsible hour. Inauguration morning would be a little early. So, after a yummy breakfast at Le Bon Cafe, Jim got us to the nearest gate that he could, and we ran back into the Cannon office building for one last restroom break.

Oh, I originally had standing tickets, but Sheridan magically obtained SEATED ones. I gotta tell you, VIP status is sweet.


After a not-bad wait to clear security, we sauntered up to our seats, and bumped into Ed Henry, who was more than happy to take pics with us and also sent his best regards to my mom.


You can see that it was overcast, and rain was forecast for noonish (right smack in the middle of the event.) Sheridan and I brought ponchos that Jim had stowed in his car in case of an emergency, just in case. But, while the temperature was cool, it really was not bad and I never shivered or felt a chill because of the weather.


Not bad, huh?

And the view down the national mall.


We could actually see the podium and parts of the west portico. The music, pomp and circumstance throughout was really special to be a part of.


And the Capitol, having just finished a major restoration, was gleaming. It was nice to keep walking forward, farther and father up the lawn. I'm also glad that I opted not to wear the suit.


Here, you can see CNN's set-up on top of the left building right at the Hall of States and their (indoor) studios.




Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas (a Georgian!) swore in Vice President Mike Pence.


Giant screens also helped us see everything, and cell service was spotty at best, so I just switched to airplane mode for some pics.



And during the Inaugural address, it did start sprinkling a bit. Who knew how bad it would get, so we ripped into our ponchos, which proved very difficult to a.) remove from the bag, and b.) open up and put on. There were some hilarious pictures of former president George W. Bush having similar struggles. And as one who took a solid seven minutes to work out her poncho, I felt his pain. That said, the rain was never bad at all.


I got really choked up during the 21-gun salute from the cannons in the Senate office park. Feeling it, hearing it and just sensing the solemnity and finality of it all was truly something. It was also special to be there with my political partner-in-crime, Sheridan. We happily passed the three and a half hours or so, chatting and taking it all in. I'm so thankful she was there.

Melania's dress was stunning, and I would really be delighted with a copy of that entire ensemble. The ladies next to Sheridan were similarly impressed with her look and with Ivanka's attire, too. Hillary also got the "wear white" memo from Ivanka and Tiffany Trump, and I can only imagine how that whole experience must have been for her. George W. Bush was wonderful to watch as always, as he clearly tried to break the tension up there with Bill, Hillary and even the Obama's.

President and Rosalynn Carter were also in attendance, and a few of my co-workers got to shake President Carter's hand on their flight back home in the afternoon. On the flight up and back, President Carter, 91 years old, shook every person's hand on his flights. And I can tell you, they were packed. BELIEVE ME! :)

There were protests around, but I saw and experienced none of them. We could hear some far-off chants, and closer chants of "U-S-A" and "Trump, Trump, Trump." The speech was... something and Sen. Schumer's opening speech, especially the first words, made me -- and the crowd -- pretty annoyed and clearly on purpose. But freedom of speech is where it's at.

I was so happy to hear that Libby watched the ceremony at school, and Matthew watched it at home, too.

CNN had a gigapixel cam over the entire thing, and Sheridan found us!


Zoomed out above and zoomed in below. I circled and cropped each for your convenience! We're the orange ponchos. And here's the link to the pic CNN pic that you can explore: http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/01/politics/trump-inauguration-gigapixel/. Somewhat creepy, but there you are. At such an event, you know cameras are everywhere anyway.


The rest of the day was a little odd, but we didn't get very wet, and I made it back to the office pretty early. We had a few confirmation votes, and as night fell, Ryan Evans and I had a peaceful walk back to Sheridan and Jim's.


After watching a bit of a "Hamilton" spoof, dinner was a yummy steak and fries extravaganza... a perfect American (French?!) meal after a long day of patriotism and no lunch.

Saturday morning the Watson's also gave me chauffeur services to a great breakfast place in another neighborhood that was inspired by a Georgia restaurant, and then curbside service at the airport.


My flight back took a bit of extra time in the air due to severe weather here, and I was smooshed in the middle seat between a stinky person and a large military police dog and his owner/trainer. So that was interesting. Thank goodness for a good book, and many free episode of "Veep!"

And then I got to come home faces, who were happy to see me. They had been well taken care of by their sweet grandmas and Daddy! It's nice that I never had to worry about them when I travel. Michael had the laundry well underway, too!


And on Sunday... I had a three-hour nap! There was a lot of walking and action in D.C., I gotta say.

-->

No comments:

Post a Comment