So, early last week I had a minor freak out in the evening with Michael after Libby went to bed. Just thinking about how much there was left to do (when normally I am basically finished with Christmas shopping BEFORE Thanksgiving with the presents wrapped by the time we put up the tree) was a bit overwhelming and frankly, disappointing to me, as this year is not up to my "normal" standards or expectations. And this year, I have to think about, and work on, specific plans for a big event two weeks after Christmas - celebrating Libby's 1st Birthday!
As the week went on, and I was able to cross more off of my "to do" list, and compartmentalize when I would do certain tasks in the days and weeks to come when I had time (first things first and all), I slowly de-stressed and have been able to enjoy each task as I get to it. I enjoy Christmas. I enjoy the anticipation and traditions, getting together with friends and giving gifts to my friends and family. Certainly I should enjoy it MORE this year, with a wonderful daughter to share in these special times. And now I am. Thank goodness for online shopping! And sorry for any slack on this blog. It's one of the things I've had to put off a bit.
We were able to enjoy several fun events in the last week. I relaxed and enjoyed them with my family and my sweet baby girl. Have I mentioned that this is my favorite age? Do I say that every month?
And last night, Michael and I were able to enjoy each other's company creating Christmas cookies together! And there will be more evenings of that this week, too. Of course I can't wait until Libby can help out a bit more. I love my memories of making Christmas cookies with my mom - especially of the week of Christmas when I was out of school. She always had a ton of great options to decorate the sugar cookies. I can remember wearing my festive, mom-decorated sweats, hair pulled out of my face in a ponytail, listening to Christmas music that filled our home and cars starting the day after Thanksgiving, working on a table completely covered with cookies and trying to give them a little life and color before we ate them and shared them with family and friends.
More on Libby: she has been doing a bit more walking lately. She almost doesn't realize when it's happening. I've noticed that she mainly does it when she's pretty focused on doing something else. She's also very excited to applaud herself or you for anything she deems worthy - such as after saying our blessing before a meal. She waves goodbye to Commissioner any time we go upstairs or start to leave the house. She's not forming a lot of actual words yet, but it's generally quite clear when she's telling you something. Miss B loves to be entertained and is always game for a laugh. (What luck for her many admirers!)
She also had a new babysitter last week. I was in desperate need of a hair cut and could put if off no longer. My other babysitting options combined with our recent illnesses just hadn't been working out, so I bit the bullet and got a sitter. Libby waved goodbye to me as I left and was apparently just wonderful while I was gone. She even went down great for her nap! What a relief.
There is still a lot left on my to do list, but I take it by the day. The most important thing I have "to do" is love and enjoy my baby girl and appreciate my many blessings.
6 years ago





Great picture with the whole family!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful blog..thank you!
ReplyDeleteI love you all so much and reading this sweet blog put everything in perspective...and I am of course in tears..it meant so much to read one of your happy memories of childhood and that you are carring on the tradition with your (our) sweet Libby...lucky little baby doll...enjoy every moment....
Love you