Of course, she's had her bangs trimmed by Mimi and Mimi has trimmed a bit of scraggly pieces off the back in the past (a LONG time ago), but we knew she needed a bit more of a real trim and shape-up soon, so we though, why not get that first cut before Easter?! Actually, Michael got his hair cut on Tuesday and I got mine cut on Thursday, so when Libby and I had time on Wednesday, I zipped her over to a kids salon nearby and we took care of it.
Now if you know Libby, you know she doesn't like a major surprise at the last minute. So I'd been prepping her with talk of a hair cut for a few weeks in preparation and talked it up big that morning. I let her know our plan for the day and the first item on that plan was her big girl hair cut. The salon had a little area for the kids to play while waiting and we were fortunate that a little boy was just ahead of us that morning, so Libby was able to see how it would work for her by watching him. When it was her turn, she climbed right up in that chair and was ready to get to business.
Our nice hairdresser, Holly, it turns out, is from Cedartown, just like Michael! Anyway, she trimmed the thin ends off of Libby's hair in the back to even it all up with the thicker portion, taking off probably two inches in some areas. She shaped up the bangs a bit, too, and complimented Mimi's handiwork in that area, as well! Libby's hair has more bounce now and looks healthier. There really wasn't a LOT to do, because of her wild hair (just like mine) to change it much, but I'm pleased with the results and she seems to be, too.
Holly also gave her the full "princess treatment," adding a braid in the front, which she dashed with glitter, some rhinestones to her bangs and rhinestone "earrings" to stick on her ears. I'm not totally in to this sort of thing for a three year old. I say let 'em come up with some of that on their own. She already likes to play in my makeup enough! However, I let it go, made a big fuss over it and she enjoyed the look for a little while. Everything came out (at her choice) after an hour or so and the rest came out before nap. She even said the earrings hurt taking them off (they were just sticky on her ears, nothing major), but I assured her that earrings DO hurt when you get them. (You're welcome, Michael!)
All-in-all it was a great success. A highlight in a week where she was acting like a bit of a pill for several days - not wanting to cooperate with me or follow any direction I might give her. Tensions ran high at times. Patience wore thin. Not my best week as a mother. But I think a three year-old will sometimes do that to you.
On Friday, Libby did some Easter cookie decorating with my mom and stayed in her jammies most of the day. (Life's tough, right?!)
On Saturday, Michael took the day off from work (had to make up for it this afternoon, of course...) to go to Cedartown to see Gigi and Papa and their special guests, Aunt Sheryl and Uncle Jim! Aunt Sheryl is Gigi's sister and Papa calls her, "the nicest woman in Ohio" for good reason. She is a very special member of our family and we are so excited to see her and Uncle Jim any time we can, especially since they live so far away. We had a great day spending time with each other doing puzzles, playing with toys, eating Gigi and Aunt Sheryl's yummy food and growing "magic" Easter foam shapes from little plastic capsules.
Today was a church and "catch up" day and frankly, I think we're all ready for bed already (and it's not quite 8 p.m.)








No comments:
Post a Comment