Tuesday, August 20, 2013

First Day of School

Libby's first day of three year-old preschool was great!

Yesterday, we had her open house to see her classroom this year and meet her teachers and classmates. Mimi brought her to the school where Michael and I met her to take her in and do the meet and greet thing. We knew her main teacher would be Mrs. Suzie, so we found her room and then met her assistant teacher, Mrs. Candy. Apparently Mrs. Shirley will be her teacher on Mondays, as well. It's a little different than some of the other "threes" classes because she's going three days a week, rather than four or five. She's a trooper though, so I don't think we're going to have any trouble there. On and there are dog pictures in each kid's cubby hole, a big cork board display with a bunch of doggies, dog pictures and stuffed animals all around AND each child's name and birthday are in the shape of dog bones. So, I believe we have a winner!


Two of her classmates, Noah and Colin, are in her class again this year and I told her she would probably see some of her other friends on the playground and/or music class.

Her teacher sent home a special treat in her new school bag they also gave her this year. The baggie is full of Starburst candies and the label reads, "I'm BURSTING with excitement that you're in my class this year!" I love how the teachers go all out to make the kids feel ready for school and loved AT school.


I had kind of a breakdown at lunch... and following. We took Libby and Mimi for a little fun at Chick-fil-A, but Mama was too stressed and hormonal to enjoy it much. Libby did, though, and got to stay to play a bit afterward.

But then she had to get home to get started on her homework (already)! She had to draw a self-portrait for her "All About Me" page and I had to order a baby photo of her and a recent family one (that I picked up on the way home from work.) We helped her answer her "All About Me" questions while she was finishing dinner. By "helped her," I only mean wrote down what she said. ...okay, and perhaps helped guide her through this one: "When I grow up, I want to be..." Well, our smarty-pants Libby, said, "A kid." When pressed further, she said she didn't want to grow up. I considered writing "Peter Pan," but refrained. After more discussion, we did write down that she'd prefer to stay a kid, but if she had to choose a career, she'd like to be a pilot or a veterinarian. Those answers took kind of a lot, though.

Mimi helped guide her with the portrait and I'm so forgetful and flustered that I forgot to get a photo. However, I know we'll get it back at some point, so I'll post a photo then. I was actually quite impressed with how much it resembled a person's face! (That a three year-old would draw.) Libby's not really into realistic drawing at all- mainly likes just spreading different colors around paper - and not into even coloring in the lines when there's a line-drawing in front of her. She had yellow-orange hair, blue eyes and green lips. She told Mimi the drawing didn't need ears, because she already had ears... but there was a neck and arms, etc. too cute! Better than I could do, I think.

Actually, last night I was so exhausted from barely sleeping the night before that I wasn't thinking all that straight. It didn't stop me from making peanut butter oatmeal cookies with mini chocolate chips and Reese's Pieces for Libby's first day of school after-school snack, though. We also plan to share some with friends.

So last night, I checked with Libby to see if she had a particular request for breakfast. First, she said oatmeal (which seemed odd, because she really never eats oatmeal.) However, I wonder if she remembers that I tried that last year for the first day (and she didn't like it). Anyway, I suggested she might prefer eggs and hash browns (a sure win!) and she agreed. To that, I added blueberries and raisin toast and this year's breakfast was a hit. Whew!

We got some photos, of course, before school.




We tried to get some with Commissioner, too.



And then... she found a slug! (It's on the leaf - and yes, she did put him on the leaf to move him away from the front door. And yes, she made me touch it, too.) We listened to the traditional Barry Manilow on the way to school at Libby's request.


And one more photo at school!


She walked right in to her new class - first one there - and started playing with some of the toys that were out. I told her to have a great day and she ran over to grab a stuffed doggy and then came and gave me a good-bye hug. (Before we left for school, she told me that she wanted to find a dog in the class to love on since her "nana" wouldn't be there.) So, she did! And she didn't shed a tear the whole day. I was surprisingly okay, too. No tears from either of us today.

Mrs. Suzie read them a story about a frog who is apparently trying to put off going to bed and she got the biggest kick out of telling us that he was looking for his pajamas in the FISH TANK! And looking for his toothbrush in his TOY BOX! What a hoot. She said she saw her friend, Madeleine, on the big, new playground the three year-olds visit. I also know that I saw Stella go in and Alex, from her class last year, so perhaps she'll see them soon, too. They only have music class on Monday and Thursday this year, so they learned a new song (not sure what it is) in her regular class today. She said they also learned a new prayer before lunch. AND she ate all of her lunch IN class (today's was pb&j, puff-up green beans and apple sauce.) So she definitely earned her after school snack! (No regular treats in the car this year - too much pressure for Mama.)



While she was in school, I ran some errands including TJ Maxx, the grocery store, and getting a hair cut - finally! On Thursday while she's in school I'll have another doctor's appointment to check on Maeby. And trust me- I'm feeling pregnant these days. Thank goodness that August has been so mild for my pregnant friends and me. More on Maeby in the next post, but this one's about Miss B.

We have gymnastics again tomorrow and we hope to visit John Luke and meet Daddy for a special lunch because he's working nearby this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment