Monday, April 7, 2014

It's Scary (and lots of ground to cover)

Sorry it's been awhile since my last post, but we've all had bouts of being under the weather. And when your kiddos are sick, everything else comes in second. 

Before it got bad, I took a few photos.


This was before church on Sunday, March 30. We had a little extra time, so I started playing with Libby's hair. And we managed to get this out of it! She asked me to do it again yesterday the same way, and thankfully I was able to pull it off again. (She actually asked this morning, too, but we didn't have time. Maybe tomorrow!)





Cute braids! She did receive many compliments.


It's scary how much I love them. And it's scary when the five month-old gets really sick and spits up everything you try to give him. 

Libby had been suffering from allergies for a couple of weeks like her dad and we'd been trying to manage them. However, by a week ago Friday, to kick off Spring Break, she woke up very unhappy, actually miserable and complaining that one - and then both- of her ears were hurting. Of course, she never complains unless it's a minor cut or scrape that she'll go on about for days. So when she's sad about something, you know it's for real. Turns out she had a double ear infection, so she got some antibiotics, thanks to her grandmothers and I was able to take care of some stuff at work that day.

And it was a good thing because by Monday, she was doing a bit better, but Matthew had become extremely congested and ended that day by spitting up at least half of his last feeding at bedtime. Morning feeding came up quick, too, and my tummy was sick, so it was time for me to stay home. I got him to the doctor that morning and was given the Pedialyte instructions and got his antibiotics, as well.  He exclusively drank bits of Pedialyte for the next two and a half days, when I was finally able to get him a mix of milk mixed in that he could drink. Things began looking up from there. 

Mom and Libby headed to Rome as planned on Monday and the next thing I know, I'm getting a photo via text of Libby eating fried okra at Pick-o-Deli. 

She did call it an early evening after helping (a bit) make chocolate chip ice cream cookies with chocolate ice cream in them. (They were delicious!) 


She and Diddy also played with bubbles and hung up birdbaths, put out birdseed and more.



Matthew and I came on Tuesday after he was better able to keep Pedialyte down because Michael was out of town, I'd been looking forward to going to Rome and when your baby's sick, you want your mom for back-up! Matthew had never spent the night there and we hadn't stayed since before he was born (and they repainted and got hardwood floors in the back of the house I hadn't even seen). Mom also rearranged their bedroom and everything looks just great. 

We dropped off Commissioner and set off to visit with Mema Mabel and her friends at lunch and then to Mema and Boobus' house. 




We even ate lunch at Daddy's favorite: Schroeder's New Deli. And we finally got the kiddos back home for a rest. And we had to hurry back out to Mimi's birthday dinner at Harvest Moon. Libby was treated to extra sweet potatoes to go with her okra from the owner and then she and Diddy picked out a cupcake and a cookie for her and Mimi. But then Libby decided they were both really just for her. Huh. Surprise, surprise, Mimi was fine with that.

On Wednesday, we had a slow morning and then got everything together to go to Cave Spring for duck feeding, playing and a picnic.









As we were trying to hurry Libby up to leave for one of these events, she comes out, shoes jammed halfway up her foot, she says, "I'm trying, but as you can see, I'm having trouble getting my shoes on!" Wednesday afternoon, Oma came to visit Matthew, as did "Charlotte's Gigi" and Kristin Williams on their way to book club. Mom and I went to her book club for a few minutes at the beginning while Diddy played with the kids and gave them their baths!

On Thursday morning, we came home and Diddy had rotator cuff surgery! So he's been recuperating this weekend and will continue to for the weeks ahead. Six long weeks before he can drive! But we came home to the scene below: our street being repaved! It only took a day, but Libby had a blast watching all the work get done. After my outing in Cave Spring, my allergies kicked in more though, so we didn't stay outside too terribly long during the repaving. But, we went out again after they were finished and could feel the heat radiating from the road. Libby was excited to walk on it and even remembered to take her shoes off before she came inside (it was already set and firm, so no prints or anything, but I appreciate her caution!


And Daddy came home that night! During all this, Matthew was taking a bottle in the morning and at night and I was pumping. I hadn't been able to get much at night and it has become clear that he needed more than I could give any longer. So the nighttime feeding was over as of Saturday night. We still get a special snuggle time at night though and I know Michael enjoyed putting him to bed tonight, too. I enjoyed giving Libby her bath and getting her bedtime routine off to a good start, too. And for now I still get him in the morning. He outright rejected me on Wednesday night, but he came back around. I've cried about it a bit, but this has lasted longer than I ever originally hoped or imagined, so I'm thankful it all worked for so long.

On Sunday, (April 6) he even rolled from his back to his tummy for the first time! He was playing on the floor while I put clothes away and he's been getting SO close in the last few days that I knew it was a matter of time. He was trying to get to me and the next thing I know, he's on his tummy. He even started trying to get his knees under him and rock back and forth. Sweetie boy!

Yesterday, we met the Fullers at the park since they can't come to the egg hunt we're planning for this weekend. We had a picnic and the girls and boys had a fun time playing, being chased by their Daddies and enjoyed the slightly chillier weather than we imagined. It was tough to get a photo of those busy girls!


But I got practically a "selfie" of the boys.


Birthday Buddies!
Oh and on Friday, Sarah babysat the kiddos for most of the day. Libby had QUITE the time and enjoyed her time with Sarah so much. They built a tent city - or one giant tent out of for blankets - in the playroom that was enjoyed by us all for the whole weekend. I'm pretty sure she's on another growth spurt, too. I think it's the third in the last six months. We'll have to check her height again officially in a few days.

Matthew's really getting back to his happy, hungry self, too. I love my cuddle bear. And to note: a couple of his "tells" are that he's done - and put him to bed straight away - if he "Dyah duah duah" with a sad face and sad sound; and another is that he starts feeling his head more and rubbing it - kind of the side - when he's getting tired.

I love them both and I'm so glad that while Michael and I are under the weather right now due to allergies, we are actually getting to spend more time as a family again when the late/middle-of-the-night baby stuff is over, work is getting back to normal for me, AND busy season is over for him. Life is back to "normal" and it's so nice to enjoy our wonderful kids. I have cut WAY back on writing down "to do" lists and it has truly made a difference in my day. I still get the things done that I need to - and perhaps even more than with the list - but not having that list staring at me all day keeps me in a more go-with-the-flow state that helps me be a happier person. My list itself is not the most important thing and my worth nor my day needs to be judged by how many things I can see crossed off of it. The devotional we received from "the Bunny" last Easter, "Jesus Calling," has been a great companion and guide.

I really look forward to seeing how it applies over the next year, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment