Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Big Girl, Big Bed

Libby's third birthday kickoff continued on Sunday with her big girl bed!

We've gotten to wait until now because she's such a good girl and never climbed out of her crib, despite her love of adventure! We'd been planning for months to have this as her big birthday gift and sure appreciate her cooperation! I ran all over town, to multiple fabric stores to find the perfect fabric to match the "look" we already had for her room. She loved it so already and mom's beautiful paintings sure didn't need to be changed any time soon, so I wanted them to all work together. Libby's favorite colors are green, #1 and purple, #2, so since her walls are already green, I didn't want to go over the top with that, but wanted it to be part of the look, of course. I found and ordered the fabric, got the designs in my head and mom helped with transporting the fabric to the lady who would make the new duvet cover, bedskirt and pillows - and mom made the curtains!

We were very excited for her to move to her big girl bed, but of course, it was tough the last few days. Her last nap in her baby crib, her last night her her baby crib. You know me: sentimental. I may have shed a few tears.

I did not, however, shed ANY tears and kept my temper in complete check as I took apart the bed to move it to her room and put it back together and took apart- and put back together, with Michael's help - her crib. I'm unreasonably proud of myself on this point. Michael did a great job taking care of our Miss B while I got her room ready for the big reveal!


This rug? It was in "Mimi's room" and was mine in college. I have always loved it. I looked all over for the perfect (and affordable- since the fabric was... not cheap!) rug for Libby's room for months. As I was putting the room together, it dawned on me to "just see" about the rug in the other room. I put it down and... it worked! I think it really does bring the room together nicely. And it was just across the hall. Sometimes Mommy's brain works, too!


The duvet cover is reversible - just like the big pillow at the top! (The other side of the big pillow is the curtain lavender and green plaid.)

You can see that she not only liked it, but that she was concerned about Gigi and Mimi's rooms (the other bedrooms, which now look lovely again. In fact, the room with the crib and cradle look pretty darn cute.





 Photos with the gift-givers!



First nap in the new bed.



She did great at nap time and at bed time. We have rules about not getting out of the bed. She's broken them a few times, but only to get a fallen blankie or toy. We also keep finding her sleeping sideways (the direction she slept in her crib, which was up against the wall longways, with her head off the pillow, since she never used one in the past. We love all crowding in together on the bed to read and Libby wants to make it up every time she gets up so it will look nice an pretty, which is a great start! Of course, so far, I'm doing most of the making up, but she helps, too. She has always loved picking up the pillows and putting them on, so that's her task for now. 

Oh - and did I mention that her headboard is vintage? Yep, it was mine. Classic brass. It should be all the rage on Pinterest, right?!

Happy Birthday, Libby!

I'm glad you love the new look, because this is your bed, duvet cover & pillows, and curtains at least, until you're about 12 or 13 years old! 

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful room for a beautiful, sweet girl....we love baby doll,
    Love Mimi & Diddy

    ReplyDelete