We got ready well in advance (me searching out all the perfect "stuff" to accessorize the party - you know, dalmatian-themed stuff isn't as readily available as one might think. After lots of local attempts, I had to turn to Amazon to help me out with some details, including balloons and figurines. Mimi helped by designing AND printing the invitations, printing 101 dalmatians for us to cut out and hang all around downstairs, drew a Pongo for our "pin-the-collar-on-Pongo" game, and I kept giving her more and more tasks, as well. I have managed to become a semi-crafty person apparently, despite my raging against the idea for so long and I made a poster and created the cake and cupcakes with Libby's assistance.
Libby helped me hang the dogs and make the party favors and cakes. She had to take breaks during the dog displaying process, though. You know, "I need to take a break to let my tummy settle." I guess putting up puppies is akin to swimming or trampoline-jumping too quickly after a meal.
Now, the cake was a bit of a disaster. It would not come out of the pan, so I had to kind of mush it back together and mold it a bit, in addition to cutting it, to form a bone shape. It is THICK with frosting, because I didn't want crumbles all over the top, obviously (though there were still a few- I think it gives it a more authentic, dirty dog-bone feel). I had to wipe the knife clean every time a crumb got on it to keep them from spreading. Oh my. Oh well - it still turned out pretty cute in the end, despite my concern it would wind up a "cake wreck!"
And as for those puppies, the family is lucky they weren't put to work cutting them out on Christmas Eve. Thank goodness someone has the brains in this family besides just Libby. I was diligently cutting them one at a time - all the way up to #17 or something like that - when I informed Michael that he would be helping me asked Michael to please help me with this process. He quizzically looked over, stacked four of the same dog on top of each other, got the scissors and began cutting. Four at once! (Boy did I feel pretty sheepish.)
Anyway, Libby was excited to see the full table set-up on Saturday morning!
Seriously- how great is that table runner?! I happened upon that wrapping paper at TJ Maxx and was planning to wrap her gifts in it, when it hit me to use it for decoration, too! Hmm... sometimes my brain functions properly, too.
While I finished up a seemingly-endless list of "last-minute" details (I did lots beforehand, I swear!), Libby and her Daddy distributed balloons to the mailbox, front door planter and around the house. One of the balloons popped outside and Libby couldn't wait to tell me about it. Ran in with the exciting news and everything- and continued to mention it into the evening. I think it was a highlight of the day. A busted balloon. What a funny, happy kid.
And here are more scenes for the big event:
![]() |
| Libby and Ansley |
![]() |
| Leah taking off! |
![]() |
| Why can't I have a cupcake BEFORE my pizza? Isn't it MY birthday party?! |
![]() |
| Bubbles with Papa! |
![]() |
| Pinning the collar on Pongo! |
![]() |
| Ty was so excited about the bubbles, he practically popped them before they could form. |
![]() |
| New art easel from Mimi & Diddy! |
![]() |
| Blowing out the candles... the first or second time. Yeah, the first time, just like last year, we forgot to record it! |
![]() |
| Libby trying to show you that she'll be THREE! |
![]() |
| "What IS it?!" |
![]() |
| Very Hungry Caterpillar game with Gigi, Leah and Ty |
![]() |
| "Where's the next one?!" |
![]() |
| Ryan would not let me cover his eyes for the game. None of the kids were too enthused about that idea, but it seemed easier than having to tie a scarf repeatedly! |
Thanks to Tyler Pearson for the videography and Lindsi Pearson and Mimi for the majority of these photos!
I completely forgot to get a photo of the "Kanine Krunchies" in the huge red dog bowl (Chex Mix). I was concerned that folks may not be too keen to eat from it, but the container didn't seem to stand in the way too much!
While she started out the gift opening with, "What IS it?!" each time she began unwrapping a package and then excited moved to, "Whey-a's da next one?!", Libby quit opening her gifts about two-thirds of the way though and moved on to other activities. Of course, she did the same thing at Christmas. Everyone was quite patient though. Actually, she still has two gifts from her grandparents left to open as I'm typing this post (Sunday late afternoon!) Perhaps at this point she'll hold out until her actual birthday on Tuesday?!
The party was a big hit and so was the time spent with friends and family. Michael and I quickly cleaned up and began putting together, and putting in their rightful places, said gifts. Michael put together her new scooter in a flash and I put together her easel. I don't think either one of us got frustrated even for a second. This is perhaps a record.
We enjoyed pizza again for dinner last night and this morning, the congregation sang Libby "Happy Birthday" at the end of church!
But the fun continued at home, because we had another big surprise in store - Momma and Daddy's big birthday gift for our girl! (Next post.)




























No comments:
Post a Comment