Friday, June 28, 2013

Farewells, Baptisms, and "I'm a Girl, Not a Dog"

Last weekend, my sweet aunt, uncle and cousin agreed to keep Libby at their house for the afternoon and late into the night so that Michael and I could attend a sort of a farewell party for one of our dearest friends, Drew Doss, who is moving to Boston (from Athens) this fall.

We had a nice family morning together with a long walk, yummy breakfast and play time before we met the Krafts for lunch and getting Libby settled. She was a bit shy at first for some reason, despite that she'd just seen Aunt Toni and Millie for pool playing and lunch with Mimi. But she warmed up quickly enough, especially back at their house. We let her nap there since she'd been sleeping for so long and so that it might be a smoother transition. (Though she tends to get over things fast, last week was a particularly tired/weepy one for her.) Her growth spurt was officially proven this week at the scale at my doctor's office that she's gained probably nearly a pound since her last visit and we know she's gotten taller by the clothes and the fact that she can reach the dimmer switch and turn the light on in our dining room/her playroom by standing on her tiptoes.

Anywho, she was a little sad when she first woke up and we weren't there, but she quickly got happy again, watching "Spongebob," chasing a bunny in their yard, picking her own carrot from their garden, eating a delicious dinner with a new favorite: butter beans, playing in the tub, etc. Oh and eating one of Millie's birthday cupcakes! (Happy 15th Birthday, Millie!) It sounds like she had quite a fun evening, which we knew she would! We picked her up late - around 11 p.m., popped her in the car, put her in bed when we got home and it all worked quite well. She went right back to sleep after a quick hug, kiss and cuddle. (The romper she's wearing below was mine!)




While Libby was gallivanting with the Krafts, we ran a few errands, got dressed and ready and went to Rome to gallivant with old friends and family. It was great to have most of the old gang around - including a Doss brother! And while Emily and Ryan came in from Charlotte, NC, I believe it's Thomas and his girlfriend, Katie, that I see least - and they live in Atlanta.

We got the mandatory photos and Mrs. Moore took some candid shots, too.


"The Gang"


"The Gang and Significant Others"


The gang and significant others with parents.


It was great to see Drew and Ben off, and while I don't see them nearly enough in Athens, Boston is quite far away. Drew is only of my absolute dearest friends (we even lived together for two weeks while I was in-between apartments in college), and knowing he was just an hour and a half away in case of a Drewmergency, was a comfort! And another good excuse to visit the Classic City. (Yes, it was strange to not be able to drink at this bon voyage party, though Oma made Lindsi and me a delicious virgin pina colada!) Ben has been so much fun to get to know and I wish they lived within the 10-mine radius I prefer of all my friends, so that I could know him better. But they seem extremely happy together and I'm thrilled for Drew that's he's soon to be off on this new adventure in life. Plus, I loved visiting Boston when Michael and I went several years ago (just before we found out that we were going to have Libby!) and I've been ready to go back ever since. I just hope that we can find the time and money sooner rather than later.

On Sunday, we went to church and then to sweet baby Finn's baptism reception at the Doyle's house. Lots of adorable kiddos were in attendance, including Ty, but the man of the hour was, of course, Finn.


Ty brought his jumpy castle for the bigger kids and Libby wore herself out on that thing! She also got to interact a bit with seven month-old Vera. Vera was adorable, preferring to prop herself on her side, up on one arm rather than sit any length of time, but she could sure scoot around on her tummy. No fussing all afternoon, either. What a charmer! Vera did spit up just a teeny bit on the rug though and boy Libby had to talk and ask questions about that. In fact, when I just put her to bed, she was talking about how after Minnie Mouse (her stuffed animal) made a fish face, she spit up a little and Libby had to clean it right up! Libby skipped past her nap that day, a very rare thing, but was a real trooper and very pleasant all the rest of the evening. We were sure to put her to bed on time and she did fall asleep quite quickly.

While I worked on Monday, Gigi kept Libby and they visited Libby's gymnastics place for about two hours! While Libby enjoyed her long and much-needed nap, Gigi put the second coat of paint on Maeby's room - so all that's left is crown molding, hanging Mimi's paintings and final furniture touches!

Tuesday morning greeted Libby and me with a number of errands, so I sweetened the deal with a trip to Krispy Kreme (it's right across from Sam's) to start the day off right! Libby chose an original glazed doughnut with chocolate frosting and red, white and blue sprinkles!



She ate some of my original too, and was quite a mess by the time we were finished! She was a delight the rest of the day and was delighted to be greeted by Mimi just before her nap so I could run out for a haircut. It's short! AND we went out to Moxie Burger with Daddy and Mimi for dinner. Dinner out on a weeknight! What a treat for us all!

Wednesday we hit the pool in the late morning and yesterday I got to actually watch the very beginning of "Chitty Chitty, Bang Bang!" It was truly a thrill to understand the whole movie finally. (I'd watched it when I was a kid, but really, only remembered the flying/boating car part.) Other than that, it was a very Christmas-y week at our house! It began with her requesting I read, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." Then she wanted to watch it. Then she requested "Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer!" I guess she's wishing for cooler weather?!

Actually, it hasn't been bad this summer temperature-wise, and boy are we officially out of the drought! You don't know what the weather is going to be from one minute to the next around here!

We also had another great visit to the doctor yesterday and Dr. Ribot got to meet Libby for the first time since he delivered her! He asked me, "Don't you just want to eat her up?!" I assured him that, indeed, just recently I had threatened her with that very thing because she's so darn sweet! On our way home, we got to meet Aunt Toni for lunch, where Libby got a quesadilla and rice, as well as a snack pack of Teddy Grahams for dessert. I gave her them to eat in the car on the way home - the whole bag (another rare treat) - and when she was half-way done, she said she was finished and handed them back up to me in the front seat. Is this kid real?! She really does do quite a good job of moderating herself on desserts. She did get to taste test some ingredients going in to the cookies we made at home later. And though she only got a half of a (huge) one after dinner, she broke off a piece to share with Mimi.

But I have to relate another exchange between us (of many funny ones) from the week. We were driving to the library to get a book club selection for me and a book for her when she asked me the approximately eight millionth question of the day. I responded with, "Oh Libby, you and your questions!" I looked back in the rear-view mirror to see her reaction. Her hand popped up, politician-style, and she responded, "Well, you have to remember, I have them because I'm a girl, not a dog."

Excellent point, Libby. Excellent point.

We have a very big weekend/week ahead. We'll fill you in on that soon!

1 comment:

  1. I love your hair in the group photos!!! And love your dress. And you're right- you can't tell at all that there is a Maeby Baby in there :) Miss you all-- kisses to Libby!

    ReplyDelete