Sunday, July 20, 2014

Camp Grandparents - Part Deux, Cedartown


Part 2 of what I lovingly call "Camp Grandparents," where Libby spent the week divided between them doing ALL the things!

This, from Cedartown, beginning Wednesday after the swap. Guest post from Gigi! 

Well, sorry to say, no pictures from today!  Since it was just Libby and I, I just didn't get the chance. 
 
Yesterday, we ate a slightly early dinner so that we could get to the pool after. Which meant that I had to wake her from her nap.  :-( But she was good about it and since it was two hours long, I didn't dwell on it too long. She immediately played with Papa with the blocks and then helped him cook the burgers while simultaneously watering the plants, including the rest of the deck!  She ate well and then we headed to the pool. We were late enough that I told her we probably wouldn't be able to ride the golf course in a golf cart like Papa had thought we might and she said, "That's OK.  I really didn't want to do that anyway!"  We were at the pool for over an hour, came home, and she showered and hit the sack about 8:45.  Obviously, still excited as she didn't get to sleep until almost 10:00. Which made for an early morning wake up.
 
My friend, Nancy Carr, has a 15 month old granddaughter and she has wanted to get the two of them together and it just hasn't worked out. She lives in Summerville and babysits Collins twice a week in Rome. When she found out Libby was here, she asked if we wanted to join them at Kindermusik at Berry. Today was this session's last class and even though it's for kids younger than Libby, sometimes older siblings come. The class was at 9:00. So that's where the early wake up comes in. I had told Libby what we were doing and she wanted to go. When she went to bed, I asked her to try and stay in bed until the first number on the clock was 7. Suffice it to say, when I woke her at 7:08, she said, "But GiGi, I didn't call you yet..........."  I told her she could go back to sleep if she wanted but she remembered our plans and got up. Being her usual dilly-dallying self, it was just a little hard to get her out of the house by 8:30 but we made it only two minutes late to class. She was the oldest there but it's parents/kids together and she really had a good time. We sang, moved/waved our hands, played maracas, played drums, and had bubble activities. Cute for the really younger kids but Libby had fun anyway. The class was 45 minutes long.
 
After class, we went to the old Horseleg Creek Plantation (now Lawrence Plantation) to swim with Nancy and Collins. It was fun going in a different pool and Libby pooh-poohed the 1 1/2 foot deep separate kiddie pool after about 10 minutes! We went to the bigger pool and she had a great time even though she was too small to stand in the 3 1/2 foot shortest part of the pool. We stayed 1 1/2 hours and came home for lunch and to plan our next itinerary. 

We played Go Fish and she had said she wanted to play Match Game. While she ate lunch, I told her that since I had forgotten our noodle at Lawrence, I needed to get another one (in case we go to the pool after dinner tonight--her plans). Of course, she chastised me for forgetting to bring back the noodle in the first place! Then I told her that we had a choice, we could go feed the geese at the lake before we went to the store for the noodle, OR get the noodle and come home to play Match Game. Guess which one she picked? And ever the negotiator, Match Game is on for later after nap and after her movie (the third of the Dinosaur movies, which she wants to take home with her and which I've yet to see completely!).  

Feeding the geese was great! They weren't mean this time, just slightly wanting, standing about six inches from her hands while she picked out the bread chunks! And to her delight, she was able to feed mallard ducks, too. Before we left to feed the geese she helped me start dinner for tonight. We're having honey chicken wings (which she helped me make), oven roasted potatoes, AND fried green tomatoes which she'll help me make after her nap.
 
And now that I mention it, I made oven roasted broccoli and baby carrots last night and she made me promise to make them for her the next time she comes!  When asked if Mommy doesn't make them for her (because I know you do), she said, "Yes, but not the salty taste like yours!"  FYI, I sprinkled on a little sea salt before overcooking them in the oven!
 
She's napping now and I'm sure it will be a good one. In the meantime, I'm heading to the shower. She negotiated for a bath tonight instead of a shower before her nap........
 
Surprisingly, Libby woke from her nap on her own. It was still a long one and I was glad I didn't have to wake her. And guess who had a short day at work? Papa! Libby heard the door open and was so amazed that he had come home much earlier than expected. That made it so much easier to plan our evening activities.
 
I went to start dinner and Libby was torn about what to do. Finish watching her movie, play with Papa, or make the fried green tomatoes (which was a big priority for her). I told her that we had plenty of time for her to do all three and that I would NOT start the tomatoes without her. When it was time, she mixed the dry ingredients and then coated the tomatoes after I dipped them. While eating them, both she and Papa said they were the best we'd ever made!
 

As we were finishing dinner, Mama, Daddy and Matthew called. She was happy to hear from them and to hear Matthew "talk" to her on the phone saying what sounded like "I love you."  Libby didn't talk too long as she had already decided to go the pool for the second time that day. We quickly finished dinner, got ready, and drove the "long time" to our club pool. We played for over an hour and Libby showed Papa how well she can swim. Then they played the game using the small pool ball that Papa would toss in the air to her and she would use her hands to bat it back. She became quite good at it.

 
Home to shower (my choice and she agreed), read a book, and in bed by 9:00. She had a slightly restless night with dreams. After the last dream, she asked if she could cuddle with me in our bed and we did. Slept in a little but awoke when I got up. Surprisingly, slept through Papa getting up.
 
After breakfast (during which she said that the scrambled egg I made her was not as good as the ones at her house which are softer as Daddy uses milk!), we headed back to her house listening to Barry Manilow.  She was thrilled to see Matthew and he was ecstatic to see her.  Aunt Toni was there and all of us headed to Paradise Grill for a fun lunch. Matthew even got to try some of Libby's Sweet Potato Tots, Fried Okra, and some of my Guacamole! 
 
What a fun time we had.

No comments:

Post a Comment