Let's keep in mind that I'm not even due until Thursday. And with a first baby, it's truly unlikely that I'll deliver early. Yes, I'm repeating that to myself over and over again as I become increasingly uncomfortable. Barely slept a wink Sunday night, but did manage to finish a book I was reading between 4 a.m. and 5 a.m. The rest of the night baby pushed him/herself even lower than ever. Now if you'll recall, Baby G was pretty low at my appointment last Wednesday and the midwife asked how I was still walking. I can tell you for certain that baby has dropped at least one if not two degrees lower than that since then and definitely more on Sunday night.
Baby G is on the launch pad and apparently just needs that final clearance - and that's as specific as I want to get.
Many folks at work are surprised that I'm still here - but good grief, I just had a week and a half off. What else should I be doing? I think it's better to use my maternity leave on the back-end, rather than the front since it seems I don't need to use it yet. Though I will say that if I'm still here on Friday, I have decided that will be my last day before maternity leave begins. Otherwise, my responses may not be so cheerful and I'm likely to send people here: http://haveyouhadthatbabyyet.com/.
Yes, it's very sweet that so many folks are anxious, excited and concerned, etc. for me/us. (And I truly do appreciate it, especially from my blog followers). But you know, these hormones and my regular impatience are perhaps getting in the way of that appreciation just slightly. It's becoming clear to me why women used to enter a "confinement period." It's not so much designed for the woman herself, as it is designed for those around her as her hormone levels change rapidly from one moment to the next and her "fuse" grows shorter and shorter with each uncomfortable, slowly-passing day and night!
Michael has been a trooper and so sweet as I toss and slowly maneuver myself from side to side in bed (when I'm not heading off on yet another trip to the bathroom), become more slug-like, and have random showers of tears. But hey, perhaps this is just getting him ready for a newborn!
FYI- and it's just a suggestion - but don't say things to 39 or 40 week pregnant women like, "You know, the majority of first-time mom's don't have their babies until about a week late." We already know that being late is a good possibility - and you're likely to get slugged. I'm certain you already-moms out there remember what I mean.
In other news, Michael put together the pack and play and the bouncer seat! Now we just need a baby to put in it and a name for said baby. We've further narrowed down the boy name list and definitely know what we're going to call him if Baby G turns out to need more blue in his wardrobe. And the girl name list is being whittled down further, too. Now we just have to see what fits best when baby arrives!
Baseboards are scrubbed and I finally have a lamp in the nursery that's perfect. Other than a little vacuuming tonight, I literally can't think of another thing we can do or have ready for the baby. (This obviously does not include the things we can't prepare for after her or she gets here and lets us know his/her many needs!) But really. Any time now.
And did I mention I can't wait to get the baby some gender-specific clothing and stop using "his/her" and "he/she?!"
Photo from this evening. Despite the smile, I think this shows the fatigue pretty well...

You most assuredly won't appreciate this, but I'm sitting here just chuckling!
ReplyDeleteI do truly hope Baby G will be out soon. :)
Dad and I think that that is a great picture and although we may be a slightly biased, we think you look gorgeous! Also, enjoy that you still have your sense of humor.. :o)
ReplyDeleteHang in there... we love you
You look great Marie. I am very exited to meet Baby G.
ReplyDeleteI am a phone call away should you need me for anything.
Bev xoxox
OK, I have to say...even though you are tired and cranky and hormonal...you look just gorgeous in that picture...seriously! So it is working for you :-)
ReplyDeleteLove you and you are in my prayers!