Friday, May 7, 2010

Every Day is Mother's Day

...when you have a baby like this.


As the year continues on and Libby turns four months old tomorrow (what?!), I have obviously had many realizations in the world of motherhood.  Some have been mentioned in this space and others just stay in my head, (perhaps because I should have realized them sooner and need not admit to all of my faults on a blog). I won't bore you with a long list either.  However, I, like I'm sure nearly every new mother in the world, have only begun to truly comprehend what my own mother has gone through, dealt with and felt in raising me (okay, and still feels). 

I am obviously very lucky that my mom is so close and I'm able to share much of Libby's and my experiences together with her.  I feel like I have always appreciated my mom, and have felt blessed that we've stayed so close through the years.  While she was always my mother first, for many years (I think nearly forever), she has also been my friend.  She's my best friend.  Not my best friend like my husband, or my best friend like my friend since childhood or my college roommate best friend or my best friend that I don't see nearly enough - oh wait, that's all of them, since I believe they should all live on my street - but my best friend who is also my mom and can read me like a book.  (We know there is obviously a difference and once again I feel lucky to have so many "best friends."  (I think it's like the "Top Ten Things That Make Me Happy" list where I had to list 17- ha!)) 

I like to think that if Michael had been able to take even a week off of work when Libby was born, that he and I could have managed her and ourselves at home before my mom came to stay when he went back to work - and perhaps by some slim chance we could have - but we both doubt it.  Michael knows how much I still depend on her - and while she worked her rear off at our house while she stayed with us, making dinner, doing laundry, cleaning, helping calm Libby, getting up with Libby when we were worn out, and tending to me, I think the most important and best thing she did for me was listen, provide moral support and answer my questions and concerns like no one else could, because she's my mom and I've never doubted that I was the #1 priority in her life.  She helped give me the confidence to be a mom just like she and dad have given me the confidence to pursue my myriad interests my whole life and as Michael does now. 

Gigi has also been a special mother to me since way before she became "Gigi."  The Gordon's welcomed me as part of the family long before I was even "soon to become" part of the family.  We have counted on her to be there for us as a mother and a best friend, too.  I can't begin to list the many things I appreciate about her or I will kick myself for leaving something important out!  But the thing I appreciate most is how much she loves her baby boy and gave him the same no-doubt-about-it love that I received.  And it is so special to watch her with her grandbaby girl.  They are so connected and take such true delight in each other!

I hope that I can do for Libby what our mother's have done for us and that I'm even half the mom to her that they are.

Earlier this week, I got to see Laura Bush's appearance with her girls on Oprah - and I hope you did, too.  It was great and I cried during the show!  (I know, no surprise there.)  They were all so sweet together.  Barbara (young Barbara, the twin- not the former First Lady) talked about how much she learned from her mom that she never knew by reading her book because Laura is such a private person and Barbara talking about her was beautiful.  Oprah brought up a passage in Laura's book where she was describing an evening when the girls were little: they are all tucked in for the night, George was on the porch reading the newspaper and Laura was working in the garden as the sun set on the day and Laura thought to herself, "this is the life."  It particularly stuck me because as Michael and I were having our evening walk around our sweet little neighborhood not even two weeks ago, pushing Libby in the stroller and walking Commissioner on her leash, I thought to myself and said out loud that this was everything I'd ever wanted.  How wonderful to be able to say that at just 28 years old.  Of course, we have hopes and dreams for the future, too - but growing up, any time I pictured my ideal "grown-up" life... this was it. 

And earlier this week, Michael gave me the greatest gift and it was in words.  He told me, "I don't think any one has ever loved another person as much as you love Libby."  I know every mother and father feels that way about their child (or they should), but I sure hope Libby knows that's the way I feel about her.

So going back to the title of the post, to me, every day feels like Mother's Day.  Therefore, Michael, Libby and I look forward to celebrating Marmena and Gigi on Sunday since I already have it all!

One more thing - Happy Mother's Day to all my mommy friends out there!  You are all an inspiration to me.

On a final note - my next post won't be so gag-inducing.  I promise!

5 comments:

  1. What a cute picture and precious outfit! I love the blue on her! It sounds like you have jumped right in and are thriving in the role of "mother"! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a wonderful tribute. And, Michael is right. Love just oozes from you....as a mother, a wife, and a friend. I'm so happy you're part of our family. Happy Mother's Day! Love, GiGi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweetie, thank you so much for that beautiful tribute (and compliment).....you are a fabulous mommy and I know that you and Libby will continue to have a wonderful relationship....she is very lucky to have you for a mommy (and Michael for a daddy)..and I know that one day she will call you her "best friend" too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marie, that was the sweetest, most thoughtful post! What a lucky mom and MIL you have! On the note about being a mom and having everything you wanted now - I agree!! :) I hope your Mother's Day was spectacular!

    ReplyDelete