Inspired by my friend, Martha, and her new bakery venture (sadly, not in the Atlanta-area), the cooking shows I enjoy, a few moments for tea in the afternoons that I can find time, and my affinity for baking, I gathered all the ingredients this week to make some cranberry orange scones. They seemed just the thing for the fall and upcoming holidays.
I planned out a segment of time while Libby napped on Tuesday to create my little treats. I'm not as speedy with the prep work as a chef, so I knew it would take me a bit longer to make them than it had Ina Garten, better known as "The Barefoot Contessa." So I also knew that I would have to put off some other things that I might have otherwise taken care of that day, during that nap (like, say, vacuuming or working on Libby's Christmas stocking.) I made a little substitution, switching the recommended all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour (something I often do in making banana bread and the like). I juiced and zested oranges, diced butter, used my wonderful pink Kitchen Aid stand mixer, made a mess on my counters with the flour, cut out my little scones in cute little star shapes and popped them in the oven.
While they baked up to perfection, I cleaned up, took care of a few other little things and made the orange frosting to drizzle on top when they were cool.
Ding! Out of the oven they came, looking lovely. They cooled. I frosted. Then, instead of waiting to fix tea, I thought I'd just have a quick taste. I held my lovely close to my nose to smell that fresh-baked, citrus-y scent and bit off an arm of the star, ever so gently.
As Michael would say, "BLICK, BLICK!!!" They were terrible. I didn't cry, but I was pretty disappointed with my wasted time, effort and money. I decided though, that perhaps they were worth another taste later, perhaps by my mom the next day before I tossed them completely. I popped them in a plastic zip-lock container and put them on the rear of the stove.
You guessed it. I turned on the wrong burner when I started fixing dinner and the container melted away, my scones and the air reeking and tasting of melted plastic.
Michael says that I subconsciously destroyed them.
As for the spiders...
Yesterday, Libby and I are bopping along, her on my hip, getting some things done around the house when we head to the laundry room. I glance down at the little mat at the door heading to the garage and see a little spider. She's clearly not doing well, and as we bend down to get a little closer look, this is what we see...
YIKES! NOT the Halloween surprise I had in mind.
It was clearly dying, but I'd prefer not to see one at all. And certainly no where near my baby or dog. Or me. Or Michael. I made sure that I killed the spider though and got her far away from the house. And though the pest control was obviously working since the spider was practically dead anyway, I made an appointment for them to come out again - just in case! And I looked up what to do about black widow bites. I wasn't super comforted about my little girls and the possibility of one of them getting bitten, though. I'm still getting the chills writing about it and I may have had a minor breakdown last night after I told Michael what we'd discovered during the day.
I have high hopes that the next week is very eventful for a number of reasons - but hopefully the bad stuff is over with!
6 years ago


Yikes is right! How scary is that? And with Libby and the Commish both being so attentive to anything that moves, wow! Sorry about the scones. I know how it is when you try a recipe and then it turns out not be as great as we expect. How disappointing. But Michael is probably right about how they were destroyed! Blick, blick indeed!
ReplyDelete