Sunday, March 23, 2014

Out of Hibernation

Oh it is my favorite time of year. I can see the end of Michael's busy season and Spring is officially here!

I know, there will still be some cold days, but I can handle that considering a hot summer is on the way. Spring really is my favorite season though, despite the pollen that bug my sinuses like crazy. I love the warm sun on my skin (rather than my heavy coat and pants!) Reading outside (though I don't get to nearly often enough) is a delight. It's all just my "happy place." That Pharrell Williams song, "Happy" gets me going this year, along with "Best Day of My Life," by American Authors. Oldies are also my bag in the Spring. I prefer Bluegrass in the Autumn. Jazz/Standards at night, while I'm reading or when it's raining... or any time, really. (I like all music at various points, these are just my personal preferences for time and place.) FYI- the "Happy" Pharrell Williams station on Pandora is just about perfect for me. Anyway, with the Spring selections, it's awesome to turn those tunes up on the radio and drive with the windows down! Even Libby likes having the sun roof open and windows part-way down now. And Matthew just laughs about it. I bet he likes the breeze back there since normally, facing the back seat, he gets virtually nothing.

First day of Spring saw Libby sporting short sleeves and a light jacket. Ditto Matthew! 
I'm ready to see Matthew's chubby legs hanging out of his onesies and letting the rest of the world enjoy that adorable view, too.

Libby said "goodbye" to Winter on Wednesday at school with a special viewing of "Frozen." They ate ice cream, sang the ever-popular, "Let It Go," and watched the film with their teachers and friends. While I obviously know the song... I still haven't seen the movie. I looked up the plot, characters, etc. so that I could ask her some follow-up questions. She answered most, but reminded me, "Mama, I've only just seen it just one time." They also enjoyed ice cream while they watched it as a special treat. Now, I didn't find that out until days later even though I specifically asked whether they had a snack during the movie. Apparently Libby wanted to keep this detail to herself. She should know better though that... moms always find out!

I've been showing her videos online of people singing the various songs, too and she's delighted by them. So, I bought the soundtrack this weekend to surprise her with it. I see lots of listening in the car in the weeks to come.

And before the movie, Libby had another great swim lesson! Just one more after this before summer kicks in.


I also decorated the house for Spring this week. It's not a lot of stuff, but Libby was so excited to see it when she came down from her nap. She loves the happy colors as much as I do! I haven't put out Easter baskets yet, but plan to as soon as Matthew's is finished. His is being worked on by the talented Mimi and I chose most of the stuff for it. She added one element that I'm really going to love, though. So that big reveal of his basket is to come. Libby's basket is, of course, my childhood basket, lovingly reworked by Mimi.

Matthew and Libby continue to have a wonderful relationship. Last week, she told me that even though she used to tell us that she wanted a sister when Matthew was still in my tummy, she actually wanted a brother. Melt!

Matthew has added peas, butternut squash and carrots to his repertoire and so far has never said "no" to any food. He also drools WAY more than Libby ever did. All day. He's not yet forced to wear a bib full-time, but we may see that day with him at some point.

Libby had her friend Emily's birthday party yesterday at Smallcakes (a cupcake spot.) The girls has the princess theme going on and the boys had a superhero theme at their end of the table. Only one boy from her class was missing from the festivities and several of Emily's other friends were able to make it, as well. The kids had a ball decorating their cupcakes to eat there and one to bring home!

Libby and her best friend from school, Kira.
L-R: Libby, Kira, Jackson, Emily (the birthday girl!), Colin.
You can't see it very well in this photo, but there's a cute tiny dab of frosting right at the end of her nose.
I took a few photos before we left the house, too.






Last evening, Sarah came over to babysit both kids by herself for the first time. She works with a ton of elementary school kids every day for hours after school, so we knew she could manage our sweeties. She had been working at a restaurant too, which took her weekends or we would have done this sooner! She did beautifully of course and everyone seemed to have a great time. We got home in time for me to put Matthew to bed, but she had him all bathed and ready for us! Next time we'll definitely stay out longer. It gave us a couple of hours for just the two of us on a beautiful afternoon/evening and we went to downtown Roswell. We walked around and had a leisurely dinner al fresco. Sometimes you really do need to be able to complete a sentence or a thought without, "Mama!" or dozing off.

I think work is likely to be busier again this coming week, but it was nice to have a bit of a recharge over this last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment