Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"Out with the Old and In With the New, Eh?"

Name that movie!

Whew- I know I've been a bit slow on posts lately- forgive me.

I had another writing assignment in addition to my regular job last week.  (Good news- it went well and they want me to do more!)  I also worked a different weekday "in the office."  But actually, I was on the road for work from that morning until late into the night.  ...and that morning, my sweet little turbo-engine cruiser, the car that saw me to my first "real job," traveled all over the state with me (and beyond), and still looked great; the car we drove Libby home from the hospital in, conked out as I was backing out of my driveway to go to work.

Seems the trouble was the timing belt.

Instead of having it fixed, since there were more than "a few ticks on the old odometer," (name that movie) and was the main source of transportation for my precious child, we decided to put the research I'd been doing on larger, family automobiles to use.

Peetie, the PT Cruiser, is no longer mine.  I didn't even name him until the day he died, but I miss him.  (Why am I such a nostalgic person?)

Those of you who know me well, know that I have always wanted a station wagon.  But when your child is in a car seat and will apparently be in a booster seat until the age of... 15?, lower-riding cars get kind of hard on your back- you moms know.  I looked at a variety of new car models of the new versions of the "mom car."  We took a few test drives of different makes.  We looked at safety ratings, measured the size of our garage, assessed our finances, and we bought one.  "She's a beaut, Clark!"  She's totally different than any car I've ever driven before, and much larger, but after about a day of use, I'm getting used to her.  She also looks like a larger station wagon to me, but sleeker (described in one review as more of a "sport wagon.") It helped when I got my own, familiar stuff in the car, so it seems more like mine.

Miss B has also been teething like mad.  She got her first molar last week and another front tooth on the bottom row of her mouth.  It has made for a few troubling nights with extra wake-ups (which NEVER happen with Libby), but she is a tough girl and has really handled it well.  Daddy has also been a great deal of help during those night wake-ups.  (I may have already been losing a bit of sleep re: the car situation.)  She's so pitiful during those night awakenings - just sort of dazed.  But, she will let you cuddle her, which isn't as frequent as it once was (I'm glad I cherished those good old naps and rocked her occasionally before her naps- never get to now!)  Boy do I love her!

1 comment: