Sunday, August 12, 2012

My Birthday

I'm 31 now. (Actually, as of Thursday.) That's truly "over 30" and I have nothing to compare it to as far as how it *should* or shouldn't feel. I think I may feel older than 30, but I think I feel a lot better than I did at 21 (definitely better than I did the day AFTER I turned 21). I am so blessed. I have a family that loves me despite - and even because of - the flaws that make me who I am. I have a wonderful husband who is my best friend. I have a daughter and I don't want to begin to describe how I feel about her because words and a blog post just aren't adequate. I have a beautiful home in which to raise her. I have a job that I enjoy and that keeps me learning. I actually wrote a LONG list of the big and small things I have to be grateful for, but I'll just keep that list in my head and my heart instead of listing it all here.

I do want to shout out- since I'm watching the Closing Ceremonies as I type- that I have gotten to watch inspiring young - and even more inspiring not-so-young - athletes compete for the last week and a half on behalf of this country. Dang, I'm proud of them and I'm proud that we wont the medal count!

I'm 31 and life is just about everything I hoped for and hardly dared to expect. While the next year will bring changes that I have planned for (Libby starting school) and ones that I can't plan for, I know that whatever happens will be right for me and for us, as long as we have God to rely on.

Now, to get to the nitty gritty of my birthday week - the week kicked off great and continued all the way up until today really. Michael was out of town at the start of the week and was supposed to be out of town until late on Thursday at least, but he made it home late Wednesday, so that was a treat in itself!  Libby and I went out to breakfast for my birthday and she ate "biscuits and hash-bowns." She was in a bit of a snit by late morning so I put her to bed for a few minutes and by when she decided to be pleasant again, she was VERY pleasant and we enjoyed a trip to the pool before the rain began again. She zipped around from one step of steps to the other without  me at all. Of course, I was close (very), but only used the kickboard or a noodle under her arms to get across. Over and over! (She HAS been impressed with the Olympians- especially those doing the backstroke.)

We came home for lunch and practiced her favorite activity "chase dat dog a-aound."

When Michael got home, we did some gift-ing!



Then we got to go to dinner with the Arnolds! Mandy's birthday is the day before mine, so we celebrated both!


Actually, there was a bit of a wait (come ON - 40 minutes on a Thursday!?) Ryan wouldn't have it!


Actually, the kids were better about the wait that I was. #DidNotActLikeAnAdult ;) But we made the best of it with some photos.


Ryan was game for some photos after he got some food in his system! (As did we all.) And part of my gift from Mandy was... petit fours from Little European Bakery in Sandy Springs. They are the best you will ever taste - and if you've been to a shower that I've co-hosted, then you've definitely tasted them. What an awesome surprise!


On Friday, Libby made me THIS birthday treat! I believe this one is going to have to have a frame. It's just so HER right now. Favorite animal, favorite color, her cute feet - and even her thumb prints make the dog's paws. SO sweet.


Oh- and here's the new bedding.


Lindsi took me out for a birthday lunch, too! Friday night, we tried to watch one of our favorite movies, "Love Actually," but I kept falling asleep and eventually gave up and went to bed. Such a fun week will apparently wear you right out.

On Saturday morning, we just took it easy and bummed around the house while the cable guy hooked up our U-verse system. I'm excited to enter this century finally with DVR, high-def. and the like! So far, so good. Michael was making major fun of me with setting up all of my recordings last night, though.

But the Fullers came over with Ansley to go to the pool with us and have a little pizza party back at the house! Kristi even made me funfetti cupcakes!




I love these cutie girls and they just don't get together enough. Libby really enjoyed Ansley and she's starting to actually interact with other kids so much more and talk to them and try to play (even if she's a bit demanding about it at times...). They even got a quick bath together! So fun!

And today we had the "blessing of the backpacks" (and school year) for the students at church. Libby brought her cute bag and walked right up proudly with it. And this afternoon I had a massage (from a Groupon I'd purchased forever ago- great deal!) We grilled out on "the egg" tonight which always makes for a super good meal, too. And adding all the sweet phone calls, texts, e-mails and cards I received, all in all it was an awesome birthday week!

This week's going to be pretty busy and exciting with work, so bear with the lack of posts. I do, however, expect to get a lot more sleep than I have lately since the Olympics will be over. I need a rest! (HA!)

Also, we're really clamping down on Libby saying "please" and "thank you." She's not getting certain treats, etc. unless she says it (which, right now means that she's not getting any treats because she REFUSES to say "please.") It's beyond frustrating to us - and sad when we can't do fun things or give her the things we'd like to give her. Wish us luck - and give us tips if you have any!

Now I'm off to eat some more cake, because I told Mandy and Kristi "thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment