Yesterday, things started to really sink in. I had to change a song playing on the stereo at dinner and then had a little pre-bedtime meltdown. (Perhaps I should have gone to bed earlier and it was more of an issue stemming from a lack of sleep after friends spent the night on Saturday.) I will say that I'm so glad we got to share some of the weekend with long-time, like family, wonderful friends with a child of their own whom we love dearly. There is just something wonderful about old friends. You don't have to always have on your "best face;" they've seen you at your worst. You don't have to agree on every issue, but it doesn't matter; you can still share your thoughts and know that it won't affect your relationship. You can laugh together about what just happened and you can laugh at something that happened 15 years ago... as if it just happened. You just feel at home.
It is a blessing that we have such friends and that Libby will have friends like this (starting with the kids of our friends) and will make more at school and over the years. Perhaps a child in her class with Ms. Lisa and Ms. Lori this year will be one of them!
Anyway, it was nice to relax as a family this weekend after a crazy week and before the week Libby begins school.
This morning, we got a little "school morning test run" with a meet & greet at her school where we could meet her teachers, see her classroom, and meet her classmates (and their parents... or moms for the most part!).
Before we left, I also did a "test run" for photos. I took around 100. Here are just a few:
I've already signed up to do goodies for the class for Halloween and Valentine's Day-- and I can't wait to have Libby help me with them when the time comes!
She's in the "older twos" class, so she's one of the younger kids - birthdays in September and October for most of the class and a couple of other kids in January with her. I'm glad that she'll have these slightly older kids to look up to and to challenge her. Meanwhile- it looks like she may teach them a thing or two, as well! I think she's one of the only fully daytime potty-trained kids in her class. Go Miss B!
She jumped right in with exploring the classroom and playing after she met her teachers and I got her to meet a few of the other kids, too. We met Noah, Colin, Stella, Evelyn Mae, and... two other girls with names beginning with "M." (Madison/Madeline?) I'm sure that I'll learn them all before long! Her teacher is also hoping to start a class page on Snapfish or Shutterfly(?) where she can share photos of them throughout the year with our class. How fun!
Some of the kids had been in the "Ones" class last year and they were very excited to start back to school. Their parents also had wonderful, reassuring things to share about it with us "first-timers." Hey- I won't be the only puddle in the parking lot tomorrow after I drop her off wearing my bravest face! I have no doubt that if she gets sad for even a minute tomorrow, that I'll be sad much longer.
I already feel a sense of emptiness just thinking about walking out of that school without my little appendage. I really can't imagine what it will be like for the moms who don't work at an office and really haven't been without their babies at all.
I'm repeating all the rational things to myself, as is Michael. He's been very supportive about this and frankly, he's been very supportive considering that I get to work part time and spend so much time with our girl.
I know "the beginning of the end" is a little dramatic.
But now we're subject to school schedules and calendars for years to come. And then she goes off to college (I have no illusions/delusions about her wanting to live at home for college). And then she goes into the real world forever. So I think my "TBOTE" title of this post is fair.
However, judging from her reaction today, she's pretty prepared for school. She's a little tentative and has asked questions. We've all talked to Libby about what to expect and how the day will go for her (grandmas included!), so she knows all about that. Her teachers seemed great and as I mentioned the parents who have kids returning were very enthusiastic, as were the students.
Oh- and I made Libby some chocolate chip cookies from scratch last night to kick off her school year. And I have a special breakfast planned that I hope she likes, too! Seems like the thing to do even if it's more momentous and comforting to Mommy than to my big girl!
Wish us luck tomorrow.
It's really the beginning of many happy years!

No comments:
Post a Comment