Friday, April 12, 2013

"Maeby" Baby

When I was about 99% sure, deep down, that Libby was to be the only heir to the Gordon claim, God had a different plan.

After over a year of no success, I had started planning in my head for, and getting quite excited about, the realities of Libby being an only child. We were about a month away from saying for sure that Libby was our one and only, and we were extremely grateful. God had a different plan. Now in October, Libby gets to have a uniquely different experience than her father and I did: she gets to share her life with a sibling. If a bit stunned at first, we were, and are, overjoyed.

I'm starting this post at just over six weeks - and we've known for just under two. So I figured things out pretty early again this time, just like with Libby! (Wish I was a little less "in tune" sometimes.) I've been sneaky (I think), I've faked people out (I think) and I've unfortunately downright lied when caught off-guard. But Michael and I wanted to see the doctor first and we just didn't feel any need for the added attention so early. We told early, early last time and things are sure to be different this time anyway, so why not go with the flow of keeping our own BIG secret for a little while? Yes, this means I've given up alcohol for a lot longer than Lent - and caffeine for the most part, too (though I've had to have a sip here or there in order to "keep up appearances.")

But again, everyone knew so long last time and the pregnancy seemed to last forever, so I'm hoping it'll speed along at a faster clip this time. Okay, with one little person to keep up with already, it's definitely going faster anyway! The fact that I haven't been able to do a darn thing, like organizing the baby's bedroom until we made the announcement, adds to the growing mental "to do list." See, our moms would know something was up right away if I'd done that: they're at our house taking care of Libby at least one day a week! I already had to straight up lie to Gigi about it early on. I was relieved she couldn't see my face. I lied to Katie and Mandy, too. Sorry ladies - I hope you'll forgive me. Those who suspected, but just went with us on it without asking questions? Thank you.

I'm sure I've already changed my ways with Libby a bit. I'm making more time to "just be" with her - relaxing, playing, whatever. I've also started trying to encourage her independence a bit more - getting dressed a little more by herself, getting farther along with bathroom business without me, that sort of thing. Of course her world is going to change. Of course I'm worried about it. But I'm going to do all I can do prepare us for what's to come. Other moms with more that one - any tips or tricks? Emily? Brooke? That's the other thing! I want to chat with all my mom friends with more than one to start absorbing their knowledge... and I haven't been able to yet! I don't exactly have a poker face if I began asking "innocent" questions.

Michael and I have talked about Baby #2 a good bit, despite his late nights and out-of-town stints for busy season, and despite the fact that we couldn't talk about it in front of Libby - knowing she would share it with the world. We're the only ones with whom we could talk about it for weeks! Do you know how tough that is for me?! If so, you'll be on the way to forgiving me for not sharing sooner. It's torture. We're working on name combos and we both think that we're probably having another girl - but like the first time, we're not finding out. And while I wouldn't know quite what to do with a boy at first, I would be thrilled to have a little blue bundle.

Since I found out so early though, I cherished every bit of energy I had when I had it, knowing the fatigue that was likely to arrive soon. I've enjoyed a hearty appetite between waves of minor nausea, too. A few folks may have noticed the eating thing.

Updating this at eight weeks... and just at a week away from visiting the doctor- finally, I can say that I've had more than "waves" of nausea at this point, along with my hearty appetite and the tired thing has hit me hard since about week seven. I can't possibly stay up past 10 p.m. and am doing a lot less during the day. If I find that I CAN sit down and rest for a bit, I DO IT! I'm dying for that doctor's appointment to be able to see our next little one, but I've made it this long, so what's another week?! I'm so thankful for the technology available so that we can see and confirm said baby with our own eyes.

Updating at nine weeks - we saw the baby the other day and heard its' little heartbeat. So fast at 170 beats per minute! Tiny baby moved about just a bit while we were watching and looked like a tiny gummy bear with the little arm and leg buds. I just love this little one! Michael met me at the doctor's office for our first appointment and that night we told our parents. They were a bit disappointed we hadn't shared the news sooner, but with a baby on the way... they couldn't be disappointed for long!

On Saturday, as we spread the news to our friends, the Pearsons, we found out Lindsi is due just a couple of weeks before me. More to celebrate! And the following Tuesday at book club, we learned of Kristi and Neil's baby news - due just two days before ours! The blessings abound... though I'm thinking with all of us on Baby #2 around the same time, we may have to postpone book club for October and November, at least! Although... maybe it will be more reason for a brief evening out with the girls.

At the moment, I'll be at 10 weeks tomorrow and this week I ate an excessive amount of chips and salsa one day, was excited for some chili a few nights ago and have been craving tuna sandwiches with relish, with lettuce and cheese. I ate them yesterday and today (Friday, March 22.) Earlier in the week and last week, I was craving Chick-fil-A chicken sandwiches on the wheat bun with a pickle. Also, I've enjoyed getting homemade cookies anywhere I can pick them up and "quick" breads. My mom made me some delicious ginger, wheat, something bread and it is SO yummy. Oh, I've also had a taste for COLD and LIME. I found these new Edy's lime popsicles and enjoyed one last night OH so much! I've tried to exercise at least three or four days a week, but I've been exhausted particularly this week and last. I even took a short nap one day and have been hitting the sack extra early and sleeping in as late as Libby will allow! It's tough keeping this secret from my friends at work! And at the moment, keeping my friends' secrets who haven't told each other yet. All of that MUST be adding to my "baby brain" (which has kicked in pretty fully, thank you.) The good news is that now that our moms know, I got to do a little work in the nursery this week, emptying a shelf of its contents. Next up will be the closet. Which requires the clean out of another closet.

Libby's take so far is very positive. Her statements run to, "The baby is in Mama's tummy?" "And God put it there?" "It's behind Mama's belly button?" "Mama's tummy will grow and grow, like it did with me?" We've been talking with her about what a great big helper she will be and what a wonderful big sister who can show her sibling so many neat tricks, introduce him/her to the wonders of Commissioner, etc. So the sweetest and saddest... and my favorite comment was, "Who's gonna help me?" (We assumed if she's helping this baby and me so much, who will be there to help her get her shoes laced, etc.) SO SWEET. We assured her that I would still be there to help her and so would Daddy. And Daddy assured her that most likely there would be more people around than ever, so perhaps she'd even be asking for a little less "help" by the time it was all said and done. Ha- that Daddy! She does perhaps seem slightly "needier" and "lovier" with me, though. She had a minor meltdown when I left to go to dinner the other night and that hasn't happened in... years?

Modeling her "Big Sister" t-shirt and displaying the first sonogram- this is how we shared the news with a few friends.
At nearly twelve weeks - I finally told my bosses and coworkers. They were (fortunately) thrilled for us (some have been after me to have a second for quite some time anyway.) Michael told his, too. But I'm waiting to post this until my sonogram on Friday. JUST to be double-triple sure that everything's still going smoothly with the baby. I've made progress with the room and the closet(s) and figured a few future things out in my head, too. We still need to order a chest of drawers and book case, but we'll take care of that pretty soon! The new windows in the kids' bathroom and the baby's room should be in soon and we'll have the ceiling fan installed when the windows go in. We've also decided that the artwork for the room will be original-style "Winnie-the-Pooh" illustrations. (Thanks, mom!) Other than that stuff, we don't have too much to do and we don't need much. We'll gladly accept diapers and gift cards, though. Oh how things change for the second baby.

Oh- and the title of this post? We're calling the baby, "Maeby," because it was so long before we got to have the confirmation visit to the doctor and we love "Arrested Development" where one of the characters is named, "Maeby." Maeby could still be a boy, right? Well- it could in our case - cause this is how we're referring to Baby G #2.

At thirteen weeks, I just got to "visit" with Maeby again yesterday with the heartbeat and today with the ultrasound! Maebe moved about a bit and is a little over 10 cm, which is so hard to believe! I'm still getting used the idea that we're really having another baby, I think. Yes, I was supposed to have two appointments today, but I messed up the days at the last appointment and wrote them down wrong! Talk about pregnancy brain, eh? So my doctor fit me in yesterday anyway, but the ultrasound technician who calculates all the pertinent measurements is only in on Fridays, so that just wasn't an option. They took blood again today too, and my vein doesn't look great. I used to never bruise or anything but since I've been pregnant this time, I do every time. Not super attractive - and doesn't feel great to the touch. Oh well, it's all worth it. I'm still fitting in most of my clothes, but some are certainly feeling a little snug, even if I'm not really "showing" yet. And I'm going to try to stay in my regular clothes for as long as possible- even if my wardrobe becomes quite small at some point. My good maternity clothes are all fall/winter from Libby! I figure with a mid-October due date, and living in Georgia, I'll get to wear them maybe one week?

This weekend, we're headed to the Atlanta Steeplechase, as per our tradition, so I'll have a post about that soon, too. I promise it will include plenty of photos to make up for this wordy one.

1 comment:

  1. Hey!! Congratulations!! 2 is going to rock your world, but it is so much fun, and the highlight of your year will be your kids meeting each other. As for tips, I have tons :) Call me sometime!! Our kids adjusted really well, and I can mostly point to God's blessing in that area. One thing we did intentionally do, though, to try to make that transition smooth, was that Cline had lots of one-on-one time with Christa while baby and I figured out the whole nursing thing. He spent hours just playing with her and giving her undivided attention, so she didn't feel left out. I also tried really hard to make the baby "only positive." In other words, Christa never got in trouble for poking the baby's eye or waking the baby up. I did my best to redirect her behavior in a very positive and encouraging way (rather than a "punishment" that I would have normally used) and tried to make a big deal about all of her efforts to "help" even if they were less than helpful :) The other big thing I would suggest is that the baby won't be able to do much for a LONG time after it's born. If you "talk up" all of the things that Libby and baby can do together, it might be a huge disappointment when the baby only sleeps and cries at first. I would downplay those expectations early on, just speaking from experience :)

    ReplyDelete