Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco de Gray Hair-o

How many gray hairs?

As "The Count" (who now rarely appears) on Sesame Street says, "One gray hair!  Two gray hairs!  Three gray hairs!"

Actually - in the last few years I've had far more than one, two, three or cinco.  I remember the very day in February 2009 that I found my first TWO.  My friend Sheridan was with me and documented the event with her camera.

First gray hair discovery - Feb. 2009.
After I yanked them, I didn't notice any new ones for a long while.  But last year I found several and this year, I seem to happen upon one or two every few days.  I've been yanking them.  But the last one was in a weird spot toward the back of the crown of my head and I couldn't seem to manage to separate just the one offender from the rest of the lovely brown strands.  So I left it.  I found another one while fixing my hair just now (yes, while most people at work are on their lunch breaks, I'm usually just managing to get in the shower while Libby has her nap.)  I thought about it and decided it would make a different (and fun?) blog entry.  I've been pondering these mutant hairs over the last few days since I couldn't get the one out.

I think- and I think the majority of people feel - that gray hair one men makes them look more distinguished, while gray hair on women isn't always as flattering.  (Yet another unfair thing about being a woman.)  Now, there are DEFINITE exceptions to the rule - like the lovely Anne Bancroft in "The Graduate," (I've long felt I'd do anything for that one grey streak right up front if it was natural) and several good friends I know, including, Kerry Penn.

Obviously, with my dark hair, they sort of stand out (at least to me.)  They don't seem to be wild and kinky or anything and they're actually kind of a shiny silver, like the dew on a spider web.  So I'm wondering: how long I could potentially keep yanking them; how long I could let them go before having to start coloring my hair (and the pain and cost of that); and whether I even want to change what's naturally occurring.  Should I give them a chance to prove themselves a nice addition to my head rather than be covered up or yanked out?

Do you have any thoughts or opinions on the subject?
Help!

5 comments:

  1. I agree with Amanda--give them a chance! And, think of all the money you'll save by not having to get your hair colored. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm, a toughie... the pain of coloring your hair and then maintaining it is ridiculous- hold off as long as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is a hair-mascara :-)
    My Mom's sister, Aunt Lucille, would plead for us nieces to pluck out her gray hairs from her perfectly black tresses. We did this without question. In the end, the plucked/or repeatedly plucked follicles - no longer functioned as hair generators. (Not what you would hope for)
    I do know that sometimes the gray hairs have a comical curliness to them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my own experience, I was blessed to have a cousin who maintained her ginger tresses for a while, then just announced to all -- that she was "going platinum" and kept up stylish hairstyles to die for...I agree with Katy that maintenance is dicey; you have to - I think - sacrifice the natural gloss and appearance for the chemical color.

    ReplyDelete