Monday, May 9, 2011

Living It Up on Mother's Day Weekend

I had a weekend that would have made a spoiled brat proud!  (Not that I'm 100 percent proud of this, as my husband is aware.)

I had a work event that took all of Saturday morning, ran by TJ Maxx quickly on the way home (it's much faster and easier without Libby in tow), and scarfed down some lunch so that I could get to my nap ASAP.  I was exhausted and really needed one.  I drifted in and out of sleep for a couple of hours (or maybe a bit longer?) and got up to play with B a bit.  We were hoping for an early dinner out since B had a long nap Saturday morning/early afternoon.  However, B got cranky and we had to put her up for a nap.  Well, long naps have never been great for my attitude, but as I mentioned, I did need it.  Her nap and screaming bath before I put her down for it did nothing for my mood since we were also now not going to be able to eat out since by the time she got up, the wait at any restaurants around here would have been too long for us to enjoy it.  I whined and moaned and didn't want any take-out.  Nothing sounded appealing anymore except going back to bed.

This was absolutely no fair to my sweet husband who kept Libby while I was at work on Friday and Saturday and was only trying to make me happy.  But I just couldn't help it!  Finally, I got my mind straight, realized my life was really not the horror I was making it out to be, and bucked up for the evening.  We got pizza and I went out and got it and hit the grocery store for some frozen yogurt, too!  We had a nice evening and even with my Diet Coke for dinner, I did go to bed early again.

Sunday morning was Mother's Day and I realized that by the time I actually got up, I'd been in bed for twelve hours straight - 9:30 p.m. to 9:30 a.m.!  Michael, Libby and Commissioner brought me a delicious breakfast in bed - a cheese omelet, cinnamon rolls and cut fresh strawberries, along with orange juice and coffee!  Apparently this feast wasn't intended to be eaten in bed, but when it was ready, I wasn't downstairs yet.  :-)

Libby had been teething for days now and was still a bit cranky Sunday morning, so she went for an early nap and we didn't make it to church.  However, Michael mowed the front yard and got some pork tenderloin and asparagus marinating, I did some yoga and a few tasks around here that needed to be taken care of so that I could better enjoy and prepare for the week ahead.  We even went for a long family walk and ended at the playground for Libby to have some fun (and us to have a great time watching her!)

THEN, Michael took over the kitchen while I got to bathe Libby.  He grilled a simply grand pork tenderloin and asparagus (in different marinades, from scratch), and made oven-baked herbed potato wedges.  I'm telling you, dinner was great!  I told him that he's been holding out on me all this time.  Seriously good food.  And of course, made better by the fact that I didn't have to make it.  (Even though I do enjoy cooking, it's nice to have home-cooked food that you didn't cook once in awhile.)

In August, I look forward to attending "Come Fly With Me" with Michael at the Fox, too!  Frank Sinatra music, combined with Twyla Tharpe choreography?!  Yes!  It's like it was designed for me (and I can't wait to see it.)

So, I was well taken care of and sweetly "put up with" even when I wasn't so pleasant.  It's nice to have a family who loves you even with your many faults.  Thank you, Michael, for allowing me to work part-time so I can take care of and be with our sweet baby during these early years.  Thank you, Libby, for making life so fun and rich every day!  Thank you, Commissioner, for being so cuddly and being the best dog a baby could imagine!  And thank you to our moms and grandmothers for being such wonderful supports and strong role models for Libby and me.

Now I'm just trying to figure out what to do for Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment